This summary of Student Services Office policies is shared with students in multiple ways;
students are responsible for knowing this information and may share it with others.
Advisors are available year round for student support. Students are able to make appointments with advisors and/or to email advisors with questions during breaks and during student holidays. The Student Services Office closes only on weekends and University Holidays, when all University offices close.
- The SSO is open from 8am-5pm Monday through Friday. Students who attempt to contact the SSO after hours, on weekends, or on University holidays, will not receive a response until the office re-opens.
Advisors typically respond to email inquiries within two (2) business days.
- Students who are experiencing an urgent concern are instructed to wait at least one (1) business day before contacting another advisor. It is expected that students who do reach out to another advisor make her/him aware of the initial email, so that advisors may inform one another that a situation has already been addressed in order to avoid repeated work.
In order to ensure that students are receiving up-to-date information about advisor availability, appointments are not scheduled via email; students must schedule with advisors either via OnCourse, by calling 614-292-1706, or in person at 206 Atwell Hall.
- The Student Services Office checks its voicemail several times per day. Students who do not receive an answer when they call are expected to leave a message that includes their name, their phone number, and/or their name.# if they would like a call back. Calling several times without leaving a message is not recommended, as there is no guarantee that the student will receive an answer when they call.
- OnCourse allows students to see advisors’ availability for the next two weeks. Advisors typically have several available appointments during a two week period. If an appointment is not available, students may either use drop-in hours (published in the Weekly Email each week and available only to SHRS students) or may call or come in to schedule an appointment further in advance than the two weeks visible in OnCourse.
Students who wish to provide others (parents, spouses, etc) access to their confidential academic records – either via email, phone contacts, or bringing them to appointments – should first complete the FERPA release that allows individuals other than the student to receive such protected information.
Students are encouraged to utilize the many tools provided by the University for schedule planning and tracking their progress toward their degree.
- Scheduling concerns: the Degree Audit is available to show students which GE and prerequisite courses remain to be taken (click here for help)
- Concerns previously discussed with an advisor: OnCourse is available to review notes from previous advising appointments as well as to schedule new appointments
- Transfer credit: Transferology and our Standards Page are available to show students available course equivalents at other universities. The Registrar’s website also houses a list of OSU equivalents at other universities under their Transfer Credit tab on the left.