HRS Pre-Major Students

Once you send official Ohio State transcripts from the other institutions you’ve attended, Ohio State will evaluate your coursework and issue your Transfer Credit Report. Ohio State will update your existing Transfer Credit Report if you previously sent in transcripts. 

If you have questions about your Transfer Credit Report, please email your HRS academic advisor or call the HRS Office of Academic Affairs at 614-292-1706

Additional Evaluation of credit 

Credit for courses you took elsewhere will be matched as much as possible to an equivalent course at Ohio State. However, the transfer credit evaluator sometimes needs help identifying an exact course equivalent for your credit.

In these instances, you may see credit on your Transfer Credit Report designated in one of these ways:

General (G000): General credit is awarded when there may be an equivalent course at Ohio State, but the Transfer Credit Evaluator could not make that determination.

Special (S000): Special credit is awarded when no specific course is equivalent at Ohio State.

Technical (T000): Technical credit is awarded for technical coursework with no specific course equivalent at Ohio State.

Validation:  Validation is listed when college-level coursework has been successfully completed at non-regionally accredited post-secondary institutions.

We recommend that you have any General or Validation credit evaluated further before your orientation program. Further credit evaluation helps ensure that you take courses you’re well prepared and avoid retaking courses you’ve completed elsewhere.  Special and Technical credit evaluation should occur during the first three weeks of your first semester. 

Requesting further evaluation 

To request a further evaluation of your General or Validation credit, contact the appropriate Transfer Credit Coordinator for the department (e.g., for Anatomy general credit, contact the anatomy transfer credit coordinator).  Click here for a list of coordinators and additional instructions.

To request further evaluation of your Special or Technical credit, contact your HRS academic advisor. They will assist you with completing an HRS Degree Audit Exception petition.  


You can get an idea of how the credit you’ve earned at other institutions will transfer to Ohio State using the course applicability system, Transferology.  Click here to visit Transferology and set up an account.  However, remember that the credit evaluation Transferology provides is neither official nor comprehensive. You’ll be able to see your Transfer Credit Report, the official record of how your previous coursework transferred to Ohio State after we receive your college transcripts.

You can also use the ‘OSU Quick Equivalencies’ spreadsheet available on the Registrar’s website (note that it is updated every two weeks). Evaluating course equivalencies is a critical step when considering taking a course at another college or university. You want to be sure you are completing the correct course.

If you are unable to find a direct equivalent on the Transferology website for math and chemistry courses, you should contact the math and/or chemistry department here at The Ohio State University for clarification on whether the course you want to take will transfer back to The Ohio State University at the appropriate level.  You will need to provide a syllabus for them to review.  

Minimum Grade Requirements

Students are responsible for checking if the transfer credit grade meets Ohio State and HRS grade requirements.  A grade of C- or higher is required to meet program requirements, including prerequisites and program coursework. A grade of D or higher is required for non-program coursework such as general education (GE) and electives.  If a GE requirement overlaps with a program requirement, a grade of C- or higher is required.