Internal System. Week of July 9th

After a busy 2 week, I am finally back with Holiday Inn, learning more about the management side of running a hotel. I took a week off for vacation and we took a week off with my intern training due to high occupancy and demand for management. This week we are back at it, discussing internal systems. What I’ve learned so far this week is our new system Carceto which is a new and improved version of our old system Holidex. This new system allows management to change everything such as daily rates to managing national accounts. Because of this switch over it’s been a learning process for everyone involved. Having access to a program that allows you to have total control of the building is exemplary. It can be accessed at home as well if an issue were to arise while management was at home or out of town. I’ve learned things such as managing inventory for the week, the difference between rate codes and rate category which deals with local and national accounts. Large corporations have different rates than local businesses which both differ from walk in and call in rates. This week has been a lot of information and we are expecting to continue training on internal systems next week as well, so there will be more to come. So far I find management extremely interesting. I don’t think many realize how much time and effort management puts in to keep a business running. They spend a lot of time negotiating with other businesses and meeting with different salesman to improve the financial well being of our hotel. I find this extra behind the scenes business to be much more of what I would like to do in the future so having the opportunity to learn hands on how to deal with business matters is really giving me a leg up for managing later in life.