G: As an International Studies major, I have a strong fascination with the world, and in order to further my interest in the social mechanisms of the world, my first year courses are on the making of the modern world, the study of peace, beginner’s level German, and a seminar on dystopian literature. Outside the classroom, I am a new but active member of the Polyglot Club, as a big goal of mine is to become fluent in not just German but a more advanced language as well, with my sights being set on Indonesian currently due to its simple structure yet necessity in trade in South East Asia. In the future, I will study abroad, preferably to West-Central Europe or South East Asia, as one cannot claim to understand the world if all they have seen is just their home.

O: At this stage of my education it is too early for me to make the decision of whether I will be doing undergraduate research or not. I simply do not have a firm enough grasp on the research process in order to either decide to do research, to rule out the possibility, or to have much of an opinion on the matter at all. As a freshman, I will solidify my understanding of the research process by taking honors-level classes both in and out of my major starting next semester. Once the path of my college career becomes much more certain, I will be able to more succinctly discover how I will further my scholarly ambitions.

A: My planned curriculum relates to my future aspirations of working in the State Department as it provides the basis for multilingualism, a strong understanding of the world system, a grasp on the history of the world (with an emphasis on German history), and greater understanding of global climate, and exposure to the study of human culture as a whole. This curriculum will guide me in the direction of becoming a more worldly man, which is why I chose my major in International Studies, my minor in German, and a hopeful career in the State Department.

L: In order to be a leader in the university, I have taken a job at Traditions at Morrill. While I may be a steward just starting out, I hope that I will be able to work up the ladder and take a stronger role in the restaurant as a whole. For me, this job helps to transform me into a working man and push me towards complete independence.

S: As a member of the Student Secular Alliance and a supporter of the DSA, my service to the community is committed towards breaking down the ideological barriers and stereotypes that dominate our society. The dissolution of these barriers are not done with large gestures that can scare people away, but through a gradual disintegration of the foundational biases through discussion and kindness that will at least sow understanding and less emnity between the various groups in the university.

One thought on “G.O.A.L.S.

1. G: Global Awareness plays a massive role in my education, as my major in International Studies along with my minors in German and Arabic (and to a lesser extent Aviation) all deal with increasing one’s global awareness. This focus on global awareness does not stop in the classroom, however, as I am a member of the Polyglot Club, which is dedicated to spreading awareness about languages both widely spoken and rare. I might do study abroad in the future, but the uncertainty of COVID-19 matched with the need for internship experience makes this a weaker possibility than when I first came to the university. I will continue to work towards global awareness by attending more cultural events and increasing my fluency in German and Arabic.

O: Of all the parts of G.O.A.L.S., Original Inquiry is by far the hardest to pin down. I do not plan to do any research with professors, nor do I have any creative inquiry projects. However, my coursework itself could be considered in its whole should be considered a creative inquiry, as my major and three minors each take disparate paths and look at different subjects. Outside of the classroom, my research is not in classwork but in studying financial markets and their movements so that I may be a better investor.

A: Since the last year I have had to take a serious look at not only what jobs I am aiming for but in a broader sense what role my curriculum plays. While I have not stepped away from working for the State Department, new career opportunities, especially in the aviation industry, have caught my eye. I have adjusted my curriculum by adding a minor in aviation, broadening my academic horizons while still ensuring I am following all my dreams. I do not know where I will work in the future, but I want to make sure that my curriculum plays to my benefit no matter where I eventually land.

L: My leadership in the university has not grown much, as my role in most organizations is just at the member level. During the coronavirus, I have had time to reflect on my role in the community and how I can be a leader. I have begun to consider forming clubs around my interests, but I will also consider trying to be active enough in other organizations to eventually obtain a leadership role.

S: Service is still an important part of my student life, and its importance has only grown during these tough times. Along with still being a member of the Student Secular Alliance, I have also joined the Student COVID Alliance, a group dedicated to sending gift bags and hope to those in quarantine or isolation. While the group will most likely not be around in a year, my time in this group still has allowed me to consider the fact that society as a whole will try to sweep a problem under the rug so as to not be disturbed by the darkness of life.