From Across the Field – Merry Christmas

I hope everyone had a nice weekend and is just about ready for next week. I do want to let the farmers know that we have the 2018 Farmers Tax guides and IRS tax forms available at the Extension office at no charge as the year is coming to a close. We also have a supply of various account books available as well. It is hard to believe the year is coming to a close but 2019 is just around the corner. As I wrap up my first full year here in Henry County it has certainly been a pleasure to live and work in the area and I am excited to see what 2019 has in store.

With Christmas coming next week I’ll take this opportunity share a few holiday safety tips, regarding the furrier family members. As I remember from an animal nutrition course in college, a too-close encounter with holiday favorites may lead to an emergency for your favorite pet as the holidays can be a dangerous time for dogs and cats in the home.

Foods that are tasty human treats during holiday parties can be dangerously toxic for dogs. Chocolate, especially dark or baker’s chocolate, consumed in large quantities, can make our canine pals ill. Grapes and raisins can also be dangerous as well as certain sugar substitutes (xylitol) used in baking and found in sugar-free gum. Keep your pet in mind when positioning foods for guests, and place items out of reach as much as possible.

Determining if your pet might need a trip to a veterinary emergency room requires the owners to watch for behavioral changes. Signs of toxin exposure include vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, change in behavior, trembling, twitching, and seizure. Owners should call their family veterinarian if they are concerned.

I’ll keep this short and sweet, this week as my gift to readers. Take some time this coming week to send with family and friends while celebrating old traditions or perhaps begin new ones. One tradition that the Ruff family takes very seriously Christmas day, is the post lunch playing of euchre. Back in southern Ohio, this will be the first Christmas for my parents in their new home that was finished earlier this year and I’m anxious to see how things go. Last I heard there was serious debate as to where the Christmas tree should be located.

I’ll end this week with a quote from Winston Churchill: “Christmas is a season not only of rejoicing but of reflection.” Have a great week and Merry Christmas.
Important Dates
Dec. 24-25: Office Closed
Jan. 1: Office Closed

Garth Ruff,

Agriculture and Natural Resources Extension Educator

OSU Henry County Extension