From Across the Field 11-8-2017

This past weekend, I returned to southern Ohio to help with a couple of projects on the family farm. The main project this fall is to finish a new house for my parents before winter. This past week the basement walls were poured, but Mother Nature put a halt on moving any soil for a few days.

When I mention that my parents are building a new house, the first question I usually get pertains to their age, as it may sound odd for a couple approaching retirement to be building a new house. However, long term this decision seems like a no brainer. A newer, more energy efficient home on the main 100-acre farm will only increase the value of the property when compared to a 150-year-old farm house that is a bear to heat, and currently is in need of a major roof restoration.

While it may be our parent’s home, my brother and I had a voice as to how to pursue the project and which type of home would be best for the next owner, whether it be one of us, or someone else. While it may be difficult to begin a conversation on farm transition planning, it is something that can save a pile of headaches down the road.

By just having the discussion the transition process has begun. However, discussing plans are only the first step, getting the plan in writing and having an attorney that specializes in agriculture draw up a legal version are also necessary to ensure a smooth secession. While this is a very brief summary of the process, OSU Extension has a group that specializes in farm transition planning that are available to give advice when the time comes.

As for the rain here over the weekend I had just over 3 inches just south of Napoleon. As I drove around, early Monday, I expected to see more corn in the pancake stage, blown over by the wind. It looks like with fairly cool temperatures in the forecast it may be a while before the ground is fit for a combine in the areas that received the most rain. It appears that we were fortunate not have received the wind damage that folks got to the north around Bryan and Archbold, or to the south in Mercer county, where a tornado tore through the Celina area, destroying crops and a few livestock buildings.

I’ll end this week with a quote from basketball great Bobby Knight who said, “The will to succeed is important, but what’s more important is the will to prepare”. Have a great week.

Garth Ruff,

Agriculture and Natural Resources Extension Educator

OSU Henry County Extension