Volunteering at The Columbus Buddy Walk

This semester I had the opportunity to volunteer with the OSU Special Olympics at the Buddy Walk. The Buddy Walk took place on September 30th and lasted from 11am to about 3pm. The Columbus Buddy Walk is sponsored by the Down Syndrome Association of Central Ohio; this year there were more than 12,000 attendees and over $525,000 was raised. At the Walk, I specifically was in charge of the inflatable games, which included baseball and basketball. I had the most fantastic time interacting with the kids, their family, and friends, watching them have the greatest time playing all the times and achieving the greatest happiness when everyone around them, including myself, acted as their cheerleader.

This service experience further enhanced my love and desire to care for children. I have always known that I have a passion for children, but watching them smile when you simply cheer for them makes my day. In the role of a leader, this experience showed me that simply putting my passion into something I care so deeply about, like the children, reflects positivity onto others which will in turn create a positive community. Because of service learning I am going to become a great nurse in my future professional career.