German 3101 Presentation

Museumsprojekt-1pmykmv

During this past semester, Spring 2017, one of the courses I took was German 3101 Texts and Contexts III: Historical Perspective. In addition to practicing complicated German grammar, we spent the class learning the major points of German history from the Middle Ages through the 1800s. For the last week, each student picked a specific theme or object from the time period on which to give a presentation. I chose the Holstentor, and old city gate in Lübeck, Germany, because it is a fascinating piece of architecture, and Lübeck had a unique history as the capital of the Hanseatic League. I had given presentations in German for my previous German classes, but there is still something especially daunting about speaking freely in a language you are not entirely comfortable with. While compiling my presentation, I decided that the PowerPoint would flow much better with only pictures, so I needed to practice my speech more than if I had included bullet points. Of course, the day of my actual presentation, my words did not go exactly as expected, but I was more than satisfied with the result. Although presentations are still slightly nerve-wracking, a certain joy comes with their successful completion.