Service

I volunteered at the Columbus Marathon (October 21, 2018) and participated in the DSWS Day of Service at Goodwill (November 17, 2018).

I enjoyed volunteering at the Columbus Marathon despite the freezing temperatures. It was so interesting to see how much planning and volunteers are needed for just one water stand along the course. When we first arrived we helped to set up tables and cardboard trashcans. Then we began to fill hundreds of cups with Gatorade and water. Finally as the runners began to come by we stood along the road handing out the water cups and cheered on the runners. Music was being played and food was provided so it was a great environment for volunteering. I completed 5 service hours by volunteering at the Marathon.

For the DSWS Day of Service, I volunteered at Goodwill. My main responsibility at Goodwill was to sort the clothing items and make sure clothes were put in the proper section based on size. This service activity might not have been as exciting as the marathon, but it was apparent that our service was extremely helpful for the store workers and the shoppers. I completed 5 hours at Goodwill.