Identity Self-Portrait

Identity Worksheet

9/11

Maybe the most impressive and straight-forward way to describe oneself is by making self portrait. But because just “drawing” oneself can be stereo typed image, I tried to approach it by another way. So I am trying to make my self-expressing portrait by making a collage out of fabric textures and images. Based on my identity worksheet, I chose my occupational part as an subject to dig in, which is a student who is majoring textile art in Korea. Creating something out of diverse textiles, threads, and cloths is always interesting. So for this project, I am going to express myself by creatively making a digital image of myself by using various textures.

9/18

I am making my Self portrait by creating a collage out of fabric patterns. It emphasizes my major, fiber art. On top of last time’s work, now I am planning to add stitches, threads, and needle to make it more clear that this work is made out of sewing fabrics into collage. I am adding shades by dividing planes, and it makes my image more diverse.  I mixed shapes to create my image, and added lines on top of them to emphasize my subject matter. By using different textures and colors, I tried to make a form by shading the shapes. Also, I used warm and decent colors to express my cozy feelings with my own major.

9/19

for my final image, I emphasized my image by making a frame as an postcard. With diverse patterns, I tried to make the movement along the form on the curvy hair and stitched that I added on my image. I divided proportions on the background so that the image won’t look boring. By trimming the image and adding small details, I finished my identity portrait project with broad unity inside of its image.