Letter to Stephanie

Dear Stephanie.

Hello, This is Hannah Park. I am a junior student currently studying in OSU.

I am an exchange student from Ewha Womans University in Korea. Since I was a kid, I was always eager to make arts – not just paintings, but also designs, 3-d sculptures, and digital arts. With this eager, there was another huge experience that broaden my perspective toward art. After finishing my courses in the Kaywon Art High school, me and My family got to visit Virginia, USA. By studying abroad in Blackburg High school in Virginia, I got to change my view of dealing with artwork by experiencing AP Art class. Before, I was trapped in old-fashioned way of creating art because of the entrance test that I had to take in Korea. That made me stay in repeating old techniques. However, by learning in new country with whole new way of education, I learned how to see things in new perspectives and realized I can also do a lot better by trying fresh methods and techniques while creating arts – and digital art was the absolute option for that. It has really broad range of possibilities. Every media we use, experience, and feel can be the materials. It can be the the method to express myself toward the world, show what I am thinking, and make myself meaningful. Such experience will be so important for the students who are on their way to grow their mind and perspective, no matter how old their age is.

This course seemed to be great chance to share such experience. When I got to learn new things from teachers, other students, and instructor, It made me build up myself. As an grown up student, I want to share my knowledge as the way I got helped by tremendous of people while I was growing up. I want to make other students to feel how it is like to create their own piece of art, and how it can affect oneself in diverse ways. Also, I think affecting others is not just giving my knowledge. As I teach others, I myself also get taught and could progress by that experience. This is the thing I am expecting to gain by taking this course.

However, there is still concern in my mind. Although I love sharing my knowledge and make my time meaningful by working with younger students, I am worried that I might not get fully connected with them emotionally. As I have experienced studying abroad when I was young, I know having English as an second language makes hardship in communication in some way. But I think I will get to figure out the way, as I always did.

These are my thinking that I wanted to share with you. Thank you so much for hearing !

Yours sincerely

Hannah Park