Reflection on the G.O.A.L.S.

Global Awareness–There are many opportunities and classes that I could take here at the university, but I only really have one bit in mind. That bit is studying abroad. Not only do I love the idea of traveling and seeing the world, but this would also provide me with a better sense of many cultures and historical aspects of many different places. My first step in this has been to take London Honors, a class where we learn a bit about London, then go there at the end of the semester to visit historical places and involve ourselves in a bit of the culture.

Original Inquiry–Most likely, my inquiry will be in the field of research here at the university. Some steps I need to take are to subscribe to emails from the research center here so I can be updated about many different research opportunities. Another way I can get involved is to first do a bit of personal research online to find a topic and take it to Dr Terndrup after I have completed some astronomy courses and he would get me set up to research that topic more in depth.

Academic Enrichment–Of course, as an honors student, I will be pushing myself to take harder classes and fill up my course load. Otherwise, I want to take classes on topics that I may not be the best at, such as writing which is a very important part of astronomy. So, I have looked up several writing courses that will help me improve and I will be taking them in the coming semesters.

Leadership Development–In all honesty, I do not know what my leadership will be. I very much enjoy volunteering and tutoring, so I have been looking into maybe being a tutor for subjects in which I excel. I am also looking into becoming an IA for an astronomy class during the next semester, which will help me in academics, but also give me experience in an instructional setting.

Service Engagement–I would like to explore opportunities in tutoring, as I mentioned in the previous statement. Tutoring is one thing that I genuinely enjoyed doing in high school, and I would enjoy being able to do it again in college. I just always loved seeing people light up when they would finally understand something, or raise their grades on tests or quizzes.