Leadership Skills: Self-Regulation

Great leaders are able to effectively self-regulate. Self-regulation is “the ability to control or redirect disruptive impulses and moods; the propensity to suspend judgment–to think before acting” (Goleman, 1998, p. 88). Self-regulation is important for leadership as leaders who can effectively self-regulate foster stable, peaceful environments that inspire others to practice self-regulation as well. Self-regulation is important in social work leadership as it relates to the social work core value of integrity. Practicing and promoting self-regulation helps to prevent impulsive actions that could be harmful, destructive, and could even lead to ethical violations.

Image from Teach.com

Self-regulation is an aspect of emotional intelligence that presents challenges for me. I sometimes find myself reacting impulsively in response to stress or anxiety. I often push myself past my limits with obligations and workloads. When I find myself feeling extremely overwhelmed or stressed, instead of allowing myself a relieving break, I seek out instant gratification to give me an extra “boost” to keep pushing through (energy drinks, binge eating, impulse purchases, etc). This kind of impulsive behavior is unhealthy and usually leads to regret. I plan to work on improving my ability to self-regulate by using mindfulness to recognize when it is time to take a break. Rather than pushing myself to my breaking point and grabbing something for a quick fix, I will intervene before my stress levels get to that point by using relaxation techniques such as going for a walk.

Read this article to learn more about self-regulation and other aspects of emotional intelligence that are important for leadership: What Makes a Leader (1)

References:

Goleman, D. (1998) What makes a leader? Harvard Business Review, 82-93.