Shape Grammar Part 2: Process

Statement of Intent

By exploring shape grammar elements using shape construction and building techniques, I aim to create a visually contrasting design. With a focus on the use of positive and negative shapes in Notan, my goal is to create a unique composition that also activates the principles of design. My most urgent target for the end of the assignment is to become comfortable using Adobe Illustrator since it is my first experience working in the program. I want to display my inner creativity in a sense of order and symmetry through this design as well. 

Ideation

To begin the ideation process of this assignment we first explored Notan art. The “light-dark” harmony is not something I had previously worked with but was very intrigued by. I admired how the design could be simultaneously simple and complex. Creating a small version on black paper (shown below) allowed me to understand the importance of flipping simple shapes over an axis. This is extremely important when completing a Notan design because it provides a framework for all the small details further down the line. Afterward, we transitioned to technology and learned the ins and outs of Adobe Illustrator. This was a long and tedious process that required a large amount of out of class time since it was brand new to me. Below are some of my exercises completed on Illustrator that were done to practice each of the tools functions. Eventually, I became more and more confident that I knew what I was doing so I began playing with the assignment requirements. This process directly led into my iterations.

Notan by hand
Illustrator Practice
Illustrator Practice
Illustrator Practice
Notan Illustrator Practice

Iteration and Production

Within the iteration process of option one, I practiced using a square, triangle, and circle as my beginning center shape. To focus on the principles of design, I wanted symmetry to play a large role in my composition. I began with the circle since I thought it would be the hardest to reflect shapes off of since it doesn’t have any straight sides. I transitioned onto the triangle but found my scale was off so everything didn’t fit on the page. Afterward, I started with a square and really focused on the details by making smaller shapes within the large ones. Unfortunately, this design uses a rectangle so it does not meet the rubric requirements. Out of the three iterations, this was my favorite due to the varying scale and repetition. In my final composition, I wanted to include some of these features which is why my final focuses on movement and symmetry. These principles can be contradictory at times but my goal was to create harmony between them. The squares on the top left and bottom right of my composition display movement as the viewer’s eye follows the implied line off the page. The emphasis on symmetry within the project as a whole can be seen as both sides reflect each other. Pattern is also highlighted within the largest triangle, as the shapes follow the order of triangle, square, then circle as they become smaller. These elements aid my process of creating a Notan design that focuses on both positive and negative space.

Iteration 1
Iteration 2
Iteration 3
Final Draft 1
Final Draft 2
Final Composition

Reflection

Throughout this process I have learned how to use Adobe Illustrator to create Notan designs. Doing so was challenging and rewarding because I was able to create a more complex design than I originally thought. Illustrator was initially very confusing to work with, but this eventually transitioned into clarity with more practice. I now feel confident in my skills used to create this composition, but understand there is much more to learn within the software. To improve my composition, I would want to focus on combining and overlapping shapes in order to create even more movement within the design. However, my favorite part of my final is the balance between symmetry and movement.

Portfolio Project

Shape Grammar Part 2