Leadership Development: Bruinettes Dance Team Captain

I was one of the captains of my high school’s dance team, the Bruinettes, during my senior year of high school. This position taught me many important leadership skills. First, I learned that leaders always need to be prepared. A part of my role as captain was to choreograph the team’s routines. Since I never knew when and how long we would have time to learn the routines, I always had to have my choreography prepared to teach so that practice was productive for the whole team. I also learned a lot about compromise. The year that I was captain saw a lot of changes. We had a new coach, new uniforms, and new policies. My team was so accustomed to the previous way that we did things so the adjustment was difficult for a lot of girls. As a captain, I worked with the dance team coach and marching band director to compromise on certain aspects that my teammates felt strongly about. Overall, I think my experience as a Bruinettes Dance Team Captain has helped me develop leadership skills that I can apply in many areas of my life and my future.

This is a routine that I choreographed along with one of my co-captains.