New to Ohio State University’s C. Wayne Ellett Plant and Pest Diagnostic Clinic is an app for iPhone or iPad which will allow Clinic clientele to submit images of their plant or insect problem either as stand-alone samples or to supplement a physical sample being sent to the Clinic.
OSU’s Clinic joined with 7 university-based plant diagnostic laboratories in the development of the app which is available for free from the i-Tunes Store and can be found here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sample-submission/id669269520?mt=8 or by scanning the QR code. Anyone may download and use the app which will guide the users with questions customized for various situations including greenhouse and nursery production. The Clinic will charge its basic exam fee for digital samples submitted through the app (http://ppdc.osu.edu/fees)
While pictures are worth a thousand words they do not always tell the whole story. Some plant disease or insect samples will still require microscopic examination or other types of specialized tests to confirm the diagnosis. If a physical sample is required as a follow-up to a digital sample the Clinic’s basic exam fee will not be charged for that physical sample.
Universities/labs partnering in the development of the Plant Diagnostic Sample Submission app are:
• Alabama Cooperative Extension System
• University of Connecticut Plant Diagnostic Laboratory
• University of Illinois Extension
• University of Kentucky Plant Disease Diagnostic Laboratory (County ANR/HORT Agents only)
• Michigan State University Diagnostic Services Laboratory
• University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension Plant Diagnostic Lab (UNHCE Field & State Specialists only)
• Ohio State University C. Wayne Ellett Plant and Pest Diagnostic Clinic
• Purdue University Plant and Pest Diagnostic Laboratory