About Me

Hi, my name is Ann Gottenger and I am a first-year student at The Ohio State University in the biological science scholars program majoring in Animals Sciences on the pre-vet track. I was born in Virginia Beach, Virgina and raised in Miami, Florida. My family history is a bit complex. My father’s parents are both Holocaust survivors, after the war, they got married and moved to a new country. Venezuela was the young new country and had many opportunities for them. My parents met each other and got married, but things changed right before my twin brother and I were born because a dictator was coming into power in Venezuela. Therefore, my parents came to this country and made many sacrifices in order to give my brother and me better opportunities to succeed.  Because of the choice they made, I got to grow up in an amazing city. My hometown is quite different from Ohio State, being situated in a bigger city with an immense amount of different types of people and cultures. My high school was also much smaller than OSU’s enormous campus, in fact, my Chemistry lecture is bigger than my high school’s entire student body!

In high school I took a variety of rigorous AP courses while balancing my studies with extra curricular activities. I played sports such as tennis and basketball, and held the position of co-captain for two years. Besides sports I was also a member of many honor societies, having leadership roles in several of them. Furthermore, I pertained to clubs such as Operation Smile and Key club, which are solely devoted to volunteer work and assisting the community. I also enjoy art, such as drawing and painting in my free time.

While here at The Ohio State University I aspire to complete my undergraduate degree in Animal Sciences and then use all of the knowledge learned here in order to apply and get into Vet School. While in high school I shadowed a local Veterinarian and learned a lot of information about how to assess and diagnose patients and the thought process required to do so. Furthermore, I also shadowed a plastic surgeon for a program at my school and got to observe surgical procedures inside of the operating room. I hope to go to vet school and become a surgeon and help all sorts of animals

I am very happy to be a student at OSU and am so excited for this new chapter in my life to begin!