1st Year Personal Goals

Since I first came to Columbus, it has seemed very clear to me why I am a Buckeye. I decided to enroll at The Ohio State University because I am passionate about my academics and have had persistent future goals for myself for quite some time now. However, it was not till my first semester here at Ohio State that I learned every goal has a “what?”, “why?”, and “how”. For me, the “what?” is as follows:

1. Finish my first semester with a 4.0 GPA.
  2. Become involved in Type 1 Diabetes research by the end of my first year.
  3. Gain acceptance into an MD/Ph.D program by the time I graduate from The Ohio State University.

Considering these goals, allow me to explain “why?” I have set these objectives for myself. First, I look to obtain a 4.0 GPA in my first semester because to me the first-year experience is largely about mastering the classroom and discovering how I personally learn effectively to get the grade I desire. Secondly, as discussed earlier, one of the persistent goals for myself has been to become involved in Type 1 Diabetes research. Lastly, I have decided that I want to enter MD/Ph.D school after graduation in order to fulfill my aspiration of being able to work from lab bench to bedside.

Now all I have left to do is figure out “how?” do I plan on achieving these goals. For my first goal, I look to perfect my note-taking and study skills in order to ensure my success in the collegiate classroom setting. As for my second goal, I have already interviewed and am set to join Dr. Gallego-Perez’s Nanomedicine Lab this spring. This lab is researching biomedical engineered therapies for Type 1 Diabetes. For my largest and final goal, I have decided to take my pursuit of MD/Ph.D school step by step. I recognize how important metrics (GPA, MCAT score, etc.) and research experience is to the application process for this kind of high-level graduate schooling. I believe my first two goals are a great start to my third. I plan to continue to build upon these goals in order to achieve all the is set before me during my undergraduate years and beyond.