Women in Medicine Mentoring Event

As a pre-medicine student, there is a lot of ambiguous advice given to students. This ambiguity likely stems from the numerous paths that many take on their route to medical school. Unfortunately, there is no perfect formula for what you need to accomplish as an undergraduate to gain admission to the medical school of your choosing. The are baseline recommendations in various presentations that I have attended on the subject, such as getting clinical experiences and participating in undergraduate research.

Recently, I attended a mentoring event put on by the college of medicine for undergraduate females to be matched with a M1 mentor. I found this particular event for pre-medicine undergraduates to be the most meaningful, because I had the opportunity to speak with a real person who just went through this process. I found my mentor was very nice and helpful. She advised me on a good time to take the MCAT, how to go about finding doctors to shadow, and gave me her information for any future questions. I am so grateful to the college of medicine for setting up such a support system for female undergraduate pre-medicine students.