S: Service

Over the past year, I have spent many hours volunteering. I raised money for, and participated in Buckeyethon, a 12-hour dance marathon which raises money to end child cancer. I volunteered at blood drives in the Union(3 hours), and at RUOK Day (3 hours), a program put on at the Union that was designed to raise awareness about mental health, and to erase the stigma surrounding mental illness. I also became a Wellness Ambassador with the Student Wellness Center (2 hours each week). This allows me to go around campus and give presentations regarding the nine dimensions of wellness as well as helping out at outreach events.

My most memorable service experience was definitely Buckeyethon. Until the actual event came to pass, I had no clue how big of an impact this would make on me. I got to meet these little kids who have had to deal with so much pain in their lives, these children who have been hospitalized for more time than most of them can count. Yet these kids are so happy and humble! Meeting these kids and hearing their stories really opened my eyes to how good of a life I have, and how lucky I have been. It really tugged at my heartstrings to hear about the traumatic experiences which they have been though, and are continuing to deal with. The biggest realization I had in being a part of Buckeyethon was that cancer really prevents these kids from being kids. They are often unable to run around, play games, or go to school during treatment, as many of them are stuck in the hospital for weeks and months at a time. It was so sad to realize this, and it definitely made me able to push through those 12 hours dancing-it was the least I could do to help raise money for them!

My role in Buckeyethon was to raise money and to, on the day of the event, to dance and move around for 12 hours-no sitting! I loved interacting with the kids, and getting to hang out with them and their families that day. As a result of the experience, I have definitely gained a better understanding of cancer, and how it really affects those who have it. It allowed me to really see how cancer impacts everyone in the family, not just the ones who have been diagnosed. This definitely served to strengthen my desire to become a health professional, and hopefully to help end this disease.