THE SPACES OF CITIZENSHIP: MAPPING PERSONAL AND COLONIAL HISTORIES

Global Mobility Project graduate student associate Eleanor Paynter’s article “THE SPACES OF CITIZENSHIP: MAPPING PERSONAL AND COLONIAL HISTORIES IN CONTEMPORARY ITALY IN IGIABA SCEGO’S LA MIA CASA È DOVE SONO (MY HOME IS WHERE I AM)” was recently published in the EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF LIFE WRITING.

ABSTRACT: As Italy has changed from emigration country to immigration destination, the growing body of literature by migrant and second generation writers plays an important role in connecting discourses on race and national identity with the country’s increasing diversity and its colonial past. This essay investigates the 2010 memoir La Mia Casa È Dove Sono (My Home is Where I Am) by Igiaba Scego, the daughter of Somali immigrants, as life writing that responds to these changing demographics and, more broadly, to the migration trends affecting contemporary Europe. The self Scego constructs through her narration integrates her Roman identity and Somali background as the narrative returns colonial history to Italian public discourse and public space. I argue that by narrating the personal and historical in the context of Roman monuments and neighborhoods, Scego’s memoir challenges and redefines who can be “Italian,” modeling a more inclusive Italianità. I discuss the memoir in terms of its use of collective memory and its development of a narrative “I” that claims a position within a collective identity while challenging the exclusionary tendencies of that very group.

Read the full article here: http://ejlw.eu/article/view/193