My First Semester at OSU

My first semester at OSU was a plethora of events. These varied from seeing Joe Biden (and Josh Hutcherson), going to a concert for the first time by myself, and the numerous late night runs to Sloopy’s. It involved laying on the Oval late at night, listening to Taylor Swift. It involved dancing in the amphitheater near Mirror Lake on Halloween, belting ‘The Time Warp’ at the tops of our lungs. UDF chocolate milkshakes, seeing Hitchcock films at the Gateway Film Center, wandering through the Short North, pulling all-nighters just to wind up at Waffle House at 5 am. It consisted of all this, and more.

I would be lying if I said I hadn’t been worried about college. However, to be more realistic, I dreaded college. I dreaded being away from my home, my cat, and the life I have back in Cincinnati. It’s not as if going to OSU is the best choice I have made thus far, but it’s not a terrible choice. I’ve made friends here. I’ve fallen into a routine. I have a fish named Zelda and two windowsill plants that rely on me. I have a roommate that I’m so glad to have in my life, and I’m taking courses that interest me- at least, most of them.

I’ve discovered that I’m more independent than I thought I was. I’ve pushed past my fears and anxieties and have attempted to make a life for myself here. I like to think I even succeeded. I’ve worked hard in my classes, and I’ve adjusted well enough. I miss my family, however. I miss not having to venture out of my home for food. I miss familiarity in a place I’ve always belonged. However, I feel as if everyone misses this. And if we miss this collectively, then it isn’t so bad. Myself, and all of these people scurrying about campus, all have a home outside of this one. However, it’s when we start to acknowledge this, and form connections beyond this that we, perhaps, can belong in a place that is far from where we started. That’s what is making my college experience thus far a success. I have people here with whom I can relate, and who care for me for who I am. Without that, I wouldn’t be able to survive here. But with it, I can thrive.