Nebraska’s 1862 Land-Grant Institution: University of Nebraska-Lincoln
The University of Nebraska was created by an act of the Nebraska state legislature in 1869, two years after the State of Nebraska was admitted into the United States. The first graduate school west of the Mississippi was established by this university. Part of the University of Nebraska system, the main campus in Lincoln is joined by four-year campuses in Omaha and Kearny and a two-year technical agricultural college in Curtis.
Chancellor: Ronnie D. Green became chancellor of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in 2016. Prior to this position, he served as the vice chancellor of the Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources at UNL. Dr. Green has impressive land-grant credentials, having received a bachelor’s degree in animal science from the land-grant institution Virginia Tech, a master’s degree in animal science from the land-grant institution Colorado State University, and a doctorate in animal breeding and genetics from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. @RonnieDGreen
Nebraska’s 1994 Land-Grant Institutions: Little Priest Tribal College, Nebraska Indian Community College
Little Priest Tribal College
The Winnebago Tribal Council chartered the Little Priest Tribal College in 1996 after having withdrawn its association with the Nebraska Indian Community College (NICC). The college was named after Little Priest, the last true war chief of the HoChunk people.
President: The president of Little Priest Tribal College is Maunka Morgan.
Nebraska Indian Community College
Founded in 1973 as the American Indian Satellite Community College with the mission of providing higher education services to the Omaha, Santee Sioux, and Winnebago reservations. In 1979, the school was renamed Nebraska Indian Community College.
President: Michael Oltrogge became the president of the Nebraska Indian Community College in 2004. Dr. Oltrogge began working for NICC in 1997 and served in several administrative positions before assuming the role of president. He also is an alumnus of NICC, having received an Associate of Arts in general liberal arts and an Associate of Science in general sciences.
Nevada’s 1862 Land-Grant Institution: University of Nevada, Reno
In 1874, the Nevada State Constitution established the State University of Nevada in Elko. In 1881, the school was renamed Nevada State University. In 1885, the Nevada State University moved from Elko to Reno, and in 1906 the school was renamed the University of Nevada. In 1969, the school again was renamed the University of Nevada, Reno when the University of Nevada, Las Vegas achieved independent status.
President: Marc Johnson became president of the University of Nevada, Reno in 2012, where he previously served as provost. President Johnson has an impressive land-grant pedigree, having been dean at the land-grant institutions of Colorado State University and Kansas State University, and having both a master’s degree in international development from the land-grant institution North Carolina State University and a doctoral degree in agricultural economics from the land-grant institution Michigan State University.
New Hampshire’s 1862 Land-Grant Institution: University of New Hampshire
Established in 1866 as the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts in Hanover, New Hampshire, in association with Dartmouth College. In 1891, a state legislative bill authorized the school to move to Durham and become an independent institution. In 1893, the first classes were held in Durham. In 1923, the school’s name was changed to the University of New Hampshire.
President: James W. Dean Jr. became the president of the University of New Hampshire in 2018. Prior to this position, president Dean was provost at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill. @UNHPrez
New Jersey’s 1862 Land-Grant Institution: Rutgers University
Chartered in 1766 as Queen’s College through an affiliation with the Dutch Reformed Church. The school was renamed Rutgers College in 1825. In 1864, Rutgers prevailed over Princeton to become New Jersey’s land-grant institution. The school was renamed Rutgers University in 1924, and legislative acts in both 1945 and 1956 designated Rutgers as The State University of New Jersey.
President: Robert Barchi became the president of Rutgers University in 2012. A board-certified neurologist, he previously was president of Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia.
New Mexico’s 1862 Land-Grant Institution: New Mexico State University
Founded in 1888 as Las Cruces College. In 1890, the college merged with the newly founded New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanical Arts. In 1960, the school was renamed New Mexico State University by the state legislature.
President: John Floros became president of New Mexico State University on July 1, 2018. His land-grant credentials are quite impressive. Prior positions include having been dean of the College of Agriculture and director of K-State Research and Extension at the land-grant institution Kansas State University, professor and department head at the land-grant institution Pennsylvania State University, and professor at the land-grant institution of Purdue University. Additionally, President Floros earned his PhD in food science and technology from the land-grant institution University of Georgia. @NMSUPrez
New Mexico’s 1994 Land-Grant Institutions: Institute of American Indian Arts, Navajo Technical College, Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute
Institute of American Indian Arts
Founded in 1962 as a high school program with funding from the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA). The school began offering undergraduate and graduate courses in 1975. In 1986, the school was separated from the BIA as a congressionally chartered school, and in 2001 it was accredited as a free-standing institution.
President: Dr. Robert Martin became president of the Institute of American Indian Arts in 2007. His land-grant credentials include a position as professor and associate head for the American Indian Studies program at the land-grant institution University of Arizona. He also served as president of the land-grant institution Tohono O’odham Community College.
Navajo Technical College
Navajo Technical University was chartered by the Navajo Nation in 1979 as the Navajo Skill Center. The school was renamed Crownpoint Institute of Technology in 1985. In 2006, the Navajo Nation Council changed its name to Navajo Technical College. The school’s name was changed again in 2013 to its current name, Navajo Technical University.
President: Elmer Guy became president of Navajo Technical University in 2006. President Guy is a product of land-grant institutions, having received both a bachelor’s degree in special education and a doctoral degree in rehabilitation from the land-grant institution University of Arizona.
Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute
The Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute was founded in 1971 by the All Indian Pueblo Council, and became fully accredited in 1975. The school is funded and administered through the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
President: Sherry Allison became president of Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute in 2009. A member of the Dine’ Nation, President Allison’s land-grant credentials include a Master of Arts in Education and a Bachelor of Social Work from the land-grant institution New Mexico State University.
New York’s 1862 Land-Grant Institution: Cornell University
Cornell University was founded in 1865 when the New York legislature authorized the school to become the state’s land-grant institution. Although the university is considered private, Cornell has colleges that are state funded and fulfill statutory requirements, including extension activities.
President: Martha E. Pollack became the president of Cornell University in 2017. Previously, she was the Provost at the University of Michigan.
North Carolina’s 1862 Land-Grant Institution: North Carolina State University
Founded in 1887 by the North Carolina legislature as the North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts. In 1918, the school changed its name to the North Carolina State College of Agriculture and Engineering. In 1963, the school was renamed the North Carolina State of the University of North Carolina, then again changed two years later to the current North Carolina State University at Raleigh. While the “at Raleigh” part is usually omitted, it remains part of the school’s official name.
Chancellor: Randy Woodson became chancellor of North Carolina State University in 2010. Dr. Woodson has extensive land-grant credentials, including a bachelor’s degree in horticulture from the land-grant institution University of Arkansas and master’s and doctoral degrees in plant physiology from the land-grant institution Cornell University. In addition, prior to his presidency Chancellor Woodson served as provost at the land-grant institution Purdue University.
North Carolina’s 1890 Land-Grant Institution: North Carolina A&T State University
Founded in 1891 by the North Carolina legislature as the Agricultural and Mechanical College for the Colored Race. In 1957 the school changed its name to the Agricultural and Technical College of North Carolina. In 1967, the college was designated a Regional University by the legislature and renamed the North Carolina Agricultural and Technical (A&T) State University.
Chancellor: Harold Lee Martin became chancellor of North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University in 2009. He is the first alumnus of this school to serve as chancellor, having received his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in electrical engineering from A&T. His land-grant background also includes a Ph.D. in electrical engineering from the land-grant institution Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. @WhoIsHLM
North Dakota’s 1862 Land-Grant Institution: North Dakota State University
The school was founded in 1890 as the North Dakota Agricultural College. Classes initially were held in classrooms rented from Fargo College. The school was renamed North Dakota State University in 1960 as the result of a statewide referendum on the issue.
President: Dean L. Bresciani was named president of North Dakota State University in 2010. His land-grant credentials include both administrative and faculty positions at the land-grant institution Texas A&M University, a visiting faculty position at the land-grant institution North Carolina State University, and an adjunct assistant professor at the land-grant institution University of Nebraska. President Bresciani also earned a doctorate in higher education finance from the land-grant institution University of Arizona.
North Dakota’s 1994 Land-Grant Institutions: Cankdeska Cikana Community College, Nueta Hidatsa Sahnich College, Sitting Bull College, Turtle Mountain Community College, United Tribes Technical College
Cankdeska Cikana Community College
This school’s origins are traced back to a Lake Region State College program offering a class in Fort Totten in 1965. The program slowly expanded under tribal governance, and the Spirit Lake Dakota Nation established Cankdeska Cikana Community College in 1974 to provide higher education opportunities for the people of the Spirit Lake Reservation, including classes to preserve Dakota culture and language.
President: The president of Cankdeska Cikana Community College is Cynthia Lindquist. President Lindquist’s land-grant roots include her being an alumnus of CCCC, as well as her mother having served on the school’s board of regents.
Nueta Hidatsa Sahnich College
The school was founded in 1973 as the Fort Berthold Community College when the Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation endorsed the concept that a locally based higher education institution was needed to train Tribal members and to help retain the Tribal cultures. At some indeterminant point the school changed its name to Nueta Hidatsa Sahnich College.
President: Twyla Baker-Demaray was named president of Nueta Hidatsa Sahnich College in 2014. Dr. Baker-Demaray’s land-grant roots include her being an alumnus of NHSC.
Sitting Bull College
In 1973, the Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Council chartered Standing Rock Community College. The College name was changed to Sitting Bull College in 1996.
President: The president of Sitting Bull College is Laurel Vermillion. President Vermillion’s land-grant roots include her being an alumnus of Sitting Bull College.
Turtle Mountain Community College
The school was founded in 1972 by the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians. The school first operated out of a former Catholic Convent, then out of a series of abandoned Indian Health Services and Bureau of Indian Affairs buildings. In 1999, the college moved to a new campus and facilities where it operates today.
President: The president of Turtle Mountain Community College is James Davis. President Davis claims land-grant roots through his master’s and doctoral degrees from the land-grant institution Pennsylvania State University.
United Tribes Technical College
The school was founded in 1969 by the United Tribes of North Dakota. The school was granted candidacy for accreditation status by the North Central Association in 1978, and it received full membership in NCA as a vocational technical school in 1982. In 1987, the school received authority from NCA to offer its first associate degree program, and then in 2003 UTTC became the first Tribal College to receive accreditation for online programs offering associate of applied sciences degree programs.
President: Leander “Russ” McDonald was named president of United Tribes Technical College in 2014. President McDonald’s land-grant roots include his being an alumnus of Cankdeska Cikana Community College, as well as having served as CCCC’s vice president of academic affairs.