Alabama’s 1862 Land-Grant Institution: Auburn University
Auburn University was established in 1856 as the East Alabama Male College, 20 years after the city of Auburn’s founding. In 1872, under the Morrill Act, the school became the first land-grant college in the South and was renamed the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama. In 1899 the name again was changed, to the Alabama Polytechnic Institute. Finally, in 1960 the name of the school was changed to Auburn University.
President: The president of Auburn University is Steven Leath. President Leath has extensive land-grant credentials, having received three degrees from land-grant institutions: a B.S. in plant science from Pennsylvania State University, M.S. in plant science from the University of Delaware and Ph.D. in plant pathology from the University of Illinois. @AuburnPrez
Alabama’s 1890 Land-Grant Institutions: Alabama A&M University and Tuskegee University
Alabama A&M University
Opened in 1875 as the Huntsville Normal School in downtown Huntsville, and shortly thereafter became the State Normal and Industrial School at Huntsville. Following its designation as an 1890 land-grant institution, the school’s name was changed to The State Agricultural and Mechanical College for Negroes. In 1919 it became a junior college and was renamed The State Agricultural and Mechanical Institute for Negroes. It was then renamed the Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical College in 1948 before it finally became Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University in 1969.
President: Andrew Hugine, Jr. He holds three degrees from land-grant institutions: bachelor’s and master’s degrees in mathematics from South Carolina State University and a doctorate in Higher Education/Institutional Research from Michigan State University. @AndrewHugineJr
Opened in 1881 as the Tuskegee Normal School for Colored Teachers. Booker T. Washington was the school’s first faculty member and leader, who remained president until his death in 1915. In 1896, George Washington Carver was recruited to serve on the faculty as chair of the agricultural department. The school was renamed the Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute when it was granted independence from the state by the Alabama Legislature in 1892. As a direct result of the second Morrill Act, the school achieved its land-grant status in 1899. In 1985, the school changed its name to Tuskegee University.
President: Tuskegee University has named Lily D. McNair as its next president. Currently the Provost at Wagner College (@WagnerProvost), she previously held a position at the land-grant institution of the University of Georgia. Dr. McNair, who will begin her duties at Tuskegee on July 1, 2018, is the first woman president of Tuskegee in its 137-year history.
Alaska’s 1862 Land-Grant Institution: University of Alaska Fairbanks
In 1917, the Alaska Territorial Legislature formally established the Alaska Agricultural College and School of Mines. Located in Fairbanks, the institution was renamed the University of Alaska in 1935. In 1975, the University of Alaska system was created. As a result, it has expanded to nineteen campuses between three separately accredited universities.
Chancellor: Daniel M. White has served as University of Alaska Fairbanks chancellor since July 2017. He joined the faculty of the University of Alaska, Fairbanks in 1995 as a professor of civil and environmental engineering.
Alaska’s 1994 Land-Grant Institution: Iḷisaġvik College
This two-year community college was founded in 1986, when the North Slope Borough created the North Slope Higher Education Center. In 1991, its name was changed to the Arctic Sivunmun Iḷisaġvik College. In 1995, the Borough passed an ordinance incorporating Iḷisaġvik College as a public and independent non-profit corporation. Iḷisaġvik College was the lead institution in the 1997 creation of the Consortium for Alaska Native Higher Education.
President: Pearl Kiyawn Nageak Brower has served as President since 2012. She has four degrees from the land-grant institution of the University of Alaska, Fairbanks: B.A. Anthropology and B.A. Alaska Native Studies, Masters in Alaska Native and Rural Development, and Ph.D. in Indigenous Studies.
Arizona’s 1862 Land-Grant Institution: University of Arizona
The University of Arizona was founded in 1885, and was the first university in the Arizona Territory. Construction of the first building on campus began in 1887, and classes met there for the first time in 1891. Because there were no high schools in the Arizona Territory, the university maintained separate preparatory classes for the first 23 years of its operation.
President: Robert C. Robbins, an internationally recognized cardiac surgeon, assumed the position as president of the University of Arizona on June 1, 2017. @UofAPres
Arizona’s 1994 Land-Grant Institutions: Diné College and Tohono O’odham Community College
Diné College is the first tribally controlled and accredited collegiate institution in the United States. It was established in 1968 as Navajo Community College. In 1997, it was renamed Diné College.
President: Charles Monty Roessel became the president of Diné College in 2017. Prior to this role he served as the Director of the Bureau of Indian Education, where he oversaw 183 K-12 schools and two Tribal Colleges and Universities.
Tohono O’odham Community College
Tohono O’odham Community College (TOCC) was founded in 1998 by the Tohono O’odham Nation. The tribe’s career center formerly provided associate degrees and a variety of certificates. TOCC began accepting students two years later, with classes accredited through an intergovernmental agreement with Pima County Community College District in Tucson, AZ. In 2003, TOCC was fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
President: In 2016, Paul M. Robertson became the president of Tohono O’odham Community College. Prior to assuming this position, he had served as the academic chair of the college.
Arkansas 1862 Land-Grant Institution: University of Arkansas at Fayetteville
Founded in 1871 as the Arkansas Industrial University on the site of a hilltop farm overlooking the Ozark Mountains, giving it the nickname “The Hill.” The school’s name was changed to the University of Arkansas in 1899, and now serves as the flagship university for the University of Arkansas system of higher education.
Chancellor: Joseph E. Steinmetz became the chancellor of the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville in 2016. Prior to this appointment, he was executive vice president and provost of the land-grant institution of The Ohio State University. @JoeSteinmetz
Arkansas 1890 Land-Grant Institution: University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff
Founded in 1873 and opened in 1875 as the Branch Normal College as an affiliate of the Arkansas Industrial University in Fayetteville. In 1927, the school severed its ties with the University of Arkansas and became Arkansas Agricultural, Mechanical & Normal College (Arkansas AM&N), moving to its present location in Pine Bluff in 1929. In 1972, the school rejoined the University of Arkansas system and adopted its present name.
Chancellor: Laurence B. Alexander became the Chancellor of the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff in 2013. Prior to this position, he served as the Associate Dean of the Graduate School for the University of Florida, the land-grant institution where he also received a master’s degree in Journalism and Communications. @uapchancellor