Tennessee’s 1862 Land-Grant Institution: University of Tennessee
Founded in 1794 as Blount College. In 1807, the school was re-chartered as East Tennessee College and then in 1840 was renamed East Tennessee University (ETU). In 1867, Congress passed a special Act making the State of Tennessee eligible to participate in the Morrill Act of 1862 program, and in 1869 ETU was named as Tennessee’s recipient of the Land-Grant designation and funds. The school was renamed the University of Tennessee in 1879 by the state legislature.
President: Wayne T. Davis currently serves as the interim chancellor of the University of Tennessee. A new permanent chancellor is expected to be named and installed in office by July 1, 2019.
Tennessee’s 1890 Land-Grant Institution: Tennessee State University
The university was founded in 1912 as the Tennessee Agricultural & Industrial State Normal School for Negroes. The school changed its name to Tennessee Agricultural & Industrial State Normal College in 1925, and in 1927 it became known as Tennessee Agricultural & Industrial State College. In 1968, the college officially changed its name to Tennessee State University.
President: Glenda Glover became president of Tennessee State University in 2013. President Glover’s land-grant credentials include being an alumnus of Tennessee State, where she received her bachelor’s degree in mathematics. @gloverpres