South Carolina’s 1862 Land-Grant Institution: Clemson University
Founded in 1889 as the Clemson Agricultural College of South Carolina. As a result, federal funds for agricultural education from the Morrill Act and the Hatch Act were transferred from South Carolina College (today, the University of South Carolina) to Clemson. In 1964 the school was renamed Clemson University.
President: James P. Clements became the president of Clemson University in 2013. His land-grant bona fides includes his having been president of West Virginia University. @ClemsonPrez
South Carolina’s 1890 Land-Grant Institution: South Carolina State University
Founded in 1872 as the South Carolina Agricultural and Mechanical Institute. In 1896, the South Carolina General Assembly established a separate institution known as the Colored Normal Industrial Agricultural and Mechanical College of South Carolina. The school was renamed South Carolina State College in 1954, and then in 1992 became South Carolina State University.
President: James E. Clark became president of South Carolina State University in 2016. His land-grant bona fides includes a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering and computer science and a master’s in management and marketing from the land-grant institution MIT. @ScsuPrez