Oregon’s 1862 Land-Grant Institution: Oregon State University
Founded in 1868 as the Corvallis State Agricultural College, although its earlier roots include ties to the Corvallis Academy (founded in 1856) and Corvallis College (founded in 1858). The school experienced several additional renaming events, including Oregon State Agricultural College (1882), State Agricultural College of Oregon (1886), Oregon Agricultural College (1890), Oregon State Agricultural College (1927), Oregon State College (1937), and then finally Oregon State University in 1961.
President: Ed Ray became president of Oregon State University in 2003. Prior to his presidency, Dr. Ray held various positions at The Ohio State University, including stints as provost (1998-2003), associate provost (1992-1993), economics department chair (1976-1992), and regular faculty member (1970-1976).