Ohio’s 1862 Land-Grant Institution: The Ohio State University
Founded in 1870 as the Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College. In 1878, the Ohio legislature changed the school’s name to “The Ohio State University,” with “The” as part of its official title.
President: Michael V. Drake, MD was named president of The Ohio State University in 2014. President Drake is the first medical doctor and the first African American to lead this land-grant university. Previously, Dr. Drake served as chancellor of the University of California, Irvine campus and as the vice president for health affairs for the University of California system. @OSUPrezDrake
Ohio’s 1890 Land-Grant Institution: Central State University
Founded in 1897 as a two-year normal and industrial department funded by the state of Ohio but located within Wilberforce University, a private HBCU owned and operated by the African Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1941, the department adopted curriculum that expanded its offerings as a four-year program emphasizing teacher education. In 1947, the department was separated from Wilberforce University, and in 1951 was renamed as Central State College. In 1965, it was renamed Central State University. In 2014, Central State was designated an 1890 land-grant institution by the federal government.
President: Cynthia Jackson Hammond was named president of Central State University in 2012. President Jackson Hammond is a product of the HBCU system, including having received both her doctoral degree in education and her undergraduate degree from Grambling State University. @CSUPrezHammond