New Jersey’s 1862 Land-Grant Institution: Rutgers University
Chartered in 1766 as Queen’s College through an affiliation with the Dutch Reformed Church. The school was renamed Rutgers College in 1825. In 1864, Rutgers prevailed over Princeton to become New Jersey’s land-grant institution. The school was renamed Rutgers University in 1924, and legislative acts in both 1945 and 1956 designated Rutgers as The State University of New Jersey.
President: Robert Barchi became the president of Rutgers University in 2012. A board-certified neurologist, he previously was president of Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia.