Nevada’s 1862 Land-Grant Institution: University of Nevada, Reno
In 1874, the Nevada State Constitution established the State University of Nevada in Elko. In 1881, the school was renamed Nevada State University. In 1885, the Nevada State University moved from Elko to Reno, and in 1906 the school was renamed the University of Nevada. In 1969, the school again was renamed the University of Nevada, Reno when the University of Nevada, Las Vegas achieved independent status.
President: Marc Johnson became president of the University of Nevada, Reno in 2012, where he previously served as provost. President Johnson has an impressive land-grant pedigree, having been dean at the land-grant institutions of Colorado State University and Kansas State University, and having both a master’s degree in international development from the land-grant institution North Carolina State University and a doctoral degree in agricultural economics from the land-grant institution Michigan State University.