DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA LAND-GRANT: University of the District of Columbia

District of Columbia 1890 Land-Grant Institution: University of the District of Columbia

 https://www.udc.edu @UDC_edu

The University of the District of Columbia was founded in 1851 as the Normal School for Colored Girls, and subsequently was renamed the Miner Normal School in 1879. It coexisted alongside the Washington Normal School, which was established in 1873 and renamed the Wilson Normal School in 1913. These segregated schools were merged in 1955 and named the District of Columbia Teachers College. Two additional schools – Federal City College and the Washington Technical Institute – were opened in 1968 as the result of the District of Columbia Public Education Act. A merger of all three institutions into what is now known as the University of the District of Columbus occurred in 1977. Finally, in 1996 the District of Columbia School of Law was brought under the administrative umbrella of the University of the District of Columbia.

President: Ronald Mason was appointed president of the University of the District of Columbia in 2015. Previously to this position, Mr. Mason was president of the Southern University and A&M College System, a collection of five HBCU campuses. @udc_pres

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *