Connecticut 1862 Land-Grant Institution: University of Connecticut
UConn was founded in 1881 as the Storrs Agricultural School. The school’s name changed to the Storrs Agricultural College in 1893 when it became the land-grant institution of Connecticut. In 1899, the name changed to the Connecticut Agricultural College, then changed again in 1933 to the Connecticut State College. In 1939, the current name – the University of Connecticut – was adopted.
President: Susan Herbst was appointed to the position of president of UConn in 2011. She is the first female president of this university.