Alaska’s 1862 Land-Grant Institution: University of Alaska Fairbanks
In 1917, the Alaska Territorial Legislature formally established the Alaska Agricultural College and School of Mines. Located in Fairbanks, the institution was renamed the University of Alaska in 1935. In 1975, the University of Alaska system was created. As a result, it has expanded to nineteen campuses between three separately accredited universities.
Chancellor: Daniel M. White has served as University of Alaska Fairbanks chancellor since July 2017. He joined the faculty of the University of Alaska, Fairbanks in 1995 as a professor of civil and environmental engineering.
Alaska’s 1994 Land-Grant Institution: Iḷisaġvik College
This two-year community college was founded in 1986, when the North Slope Borough created the North Slope Higher Education Center. In 1991, its name was changed to the Arctic Sivunmun Iḷisaġvik College. In 1995, the Borough passed an ordinance incorporating Iḷisaġvik College as a public and independent non-profit corporation. Iḷisaġvik College was the lead institution in the 1997 creation of the Consortium for Alaska Native Higher Education.
President: Pearl Kiyawn Nageak Brower has served as President since 2012. She has four degrees from the land-grant institution of the University of Alaska, Fairbanks: B.A. Anthropology and B.A. Alaska Native Studies, Masters in Alaska Native and Rural Development, and Ph.D. in Indigenous Studies.