Earth Month Challenge Part 1

I was drawn to the area of food and water, because I have noticed that I consume a lot of food and drinks that come in disposable packaging that cannot be recycled.  I also take long showers, I plan on timing my showers during earth month, and working towards bathing more efficiently. To cut down on the amount of food wrappers that I throw away on a monthly basis, I will buy food in bulk, and put a small amount in reusable containers, instead of buying single serve snacks. Whole Foods will be a helpful resource, because they offer a wide variety of foods in bulk, as well as eco-friendly containers. I drink a lot of coffee, often from paper cups that cannot be recycled, during this month I will always have a reusable coffee cup in my backpack. The coffee shops on campus as well as Starbucks on High, will allow me to use a reusable coffee cup, and Starbucks will even give me a discount when I use my own cup. This will help me reduce my impact, because I will be sending less waste to the landfill. Every morning I eat a prepackaged granola bar, and then throw the wrapper in the trash, during earth month I will make my own granola bars, using recipes from allrecipes.com. This site is great because it offers a wide variety of  recipes, and I will be able to look through all those that sound appealing, and then determine which ones could be made most efficiently. I use plastic silverware often, because it is convenient, but during earth month I will purchase metal silverware and use that instead. I will reduce my food waste during earth month through purchasing only the food I need for each week, instead of buying too much, and having to throw some of it away. I will always bring one of my reusable shopping bags with me when I go grocery shopping or go to Target, so I do not have an excess of plastic bags. I will purchase foods that are locally grown, so that I am eating foods that are in season, and were not transported from across the country or across the world. I will use www.cuesa.org to determine which fruits are in season in my area, this will help me support local agriculture, and I will be getting more nutrients, because the produce will be fresher. I will go to Lucky’s Market to get local produce, because they are dedicated to supporting local agriculture.  I will reduce the amount of frozen meals I eat, by making my own meals instead, this will be reduce the amount of packaging that I send to the landfill. I will reduce my water usage by turning off the faucet when I brush my teeth, instead of letting the water run for the entire time I am brushing, I will al I will eat more fruits and vegetables, and less meat because more waste is created through producing meat, than produce. I will use healthland.time.com to find ways to eat in a more sustainable way. I will stop throwing away coffee filters everyday by switching to a reusable coffee filter. I will ask my mom to stop sending me food from home, because she often sends me foods that I could buy here, and thus I would be reducing emissions caused by transportation. I will use the website www.globalstewards.org throughout this month because this website is full of simple ways to be greener, that are inexpensive.