Sophomore and Junior Year in Review (2019-2021)

I am writing this review two days before I am scheduled to receive my second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, staring at the light at the end of the tunnel. The past two years have been a rollercoaster of emotion and fear, which is one reason why this reflection encompasses two years instead of just one. COVID-19 hit America in truth near the middle of the second semester of sophomore year, and my mind, like the mind of everyone else in America, was on far more pressing matters than reflecting. Since then, I have been existing in a world of zoom-based schoolwork and extracurriculars interspersed with brief ventures outdoors and into public spaces. Thankfully, this time is coming to an end.

Over the past two years, I have become increasingly involved with my major student organization, the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE). I started as a member of the professional development committee and the fundraising committee my sophomore year, where I liaised with companies and planned information sessions and a pancake fundraising event. My junior year, I was elected as the Professional Development Coordinator, and I worked with my committee to plan virtual information sessions with companies, student and alumni panels to provide advice, and workshops for the Inclusion and Diversity series. Although I have decided not to continue on the AIChE Executive Board for the next semester in order to focus on my co-op, I plan to be involved with both the wellness committee and the professional development committee to help plan events and further our organization’s efforts to become more inclusive.

I have also had the privilege of furthering my chemical engineering education over the last two years. Two notable classes I chose to pursue as electives were Experimental Design in Fall 2020 and Fuel Cells in Spring 2021. Both of these classes gave incredible insight into the skills and knowledge I will need for my future career. In addition, I had the opportunity of serving as a TA for Process Fundamentals (CBE 2200), the very first chemical engineering class students take. I learned so much from my students about how to present material and how to take complicated material and break it down into a series of easy steps for students to understand. I hope to return as a TA after my co-op.

This summer and fall, I will be on co-op with Nexceris, a fuel cell company based out of Lewis Center, Ohio. At Nexceris, I will be working with their fuel cell business unit as an intern from May through December. This is my first co-op or internship so I am nervous, but also extremely excited! Since Lewis Center is just outside of Columbus, I will be able to stay at my apartment for the duration and still enjoy the AIChE events on-campus, which I am extremely excited about!