Artifacts

1. My relationship with my 2nd semester gen chem professor
    • Last year, my freshman year, I built a great relationship with my general chemistry professor that will no doubt stick with me for years to come. He taught me how to really see the beauty of chemistry, and make connections between chem and the world around me. A more underlying idea is how that made me think about concepts beyond trying to remember them for an exam. This is something I kind of developed by being with him, talking to him, and then going away and reflecting thoughtfully on. This leads me to my second artifact
  2. Physically, sandals I bought from my India GHI trip because that’s all I really bought there/brought back physically, and mentally, the memories and long lasting ideals I brought back, which are of great significance.
    • Going abroad to India, living in the village living conditions for just a mere 2 weeks, and seeing and talking with people there about their daily lives broadened my perspective on life, satisfaction, and how we should go about daily interaction. This may seem silly, but just a couple years (college, experiences that come with it) really changed my mindset. I was influenced pretty heavily by my parents, and my friends, and their ideals were what would be considered pretty conservative, and somewhat close minded; however, after really getting out of that atmosphere, and seeing more of what I’d never seen, whether that be willingly or unwillingly, I really want to and strive to be more open. This doesn’t mean I literally adopt everything people have to say and never think negatively about it- this means I really think about what someone has to say, and I don’t let things like stereotypes, predisposed thoughts, emotions, etc. play a significant role in my consideration of others and what they have to say. Just by talking to more people, and getting some time for introspection, I find there’s a lot of benefit to perspective beyond oneself.