Mentee Interview

This semester, I conducted a second interview with my ACES mentee Molly. Molly is a first year majoring in Environment, Development, Economy, and Sustainability (EDES) and is greatly enjoying her time here at Ohio State. To further inquire about Molly’s second semester, I asked her the following questions:

1. Are you enjoying your major? Why or why not?
    2. Which class on your current schedule do you think will be the most challenging and why?
    3. How do you manage your time between your involvement and your academics?
    4. Have you enjoyed the ACES living-learning community in Smith-Steeb? Why or why not?
    5. What recommendations do you have for improving the ACES program?

Although Molly is still trying to figure out exactly what she wants to do career-wise, she says she really likes the things she is learning through her major. Looking forward to next semester, Molly is in the process of deciding whether she wants to keep EDES as her major or if she wants to change that to her minor and pursue a Business major instead. Because Molly does not necessarily wish to attend grad school, she thinks the Business major route may be better suited for her career goals. Some day Molly wishes to work with a non-profit organization that works with the government to help the environment and improve sustainability. Molly’s most challenging class this semester is her Economics class, which is required for her major. On the other hand, her favorite class is her photography class which she took simply because she is very interested in photography and enjoys taking pictures on her own time. I think it is important for students to take time out of their busy schedule to do at least one class they thoroughly enjoy. Although Molly keeps a busy schedule with a job and her extracurriculars, she manages her time by getting as much class work done in between classes as she can. Molly works in the Nisonger center on medical campus. She also participates in the Ace! program through the Nisonger center which helps students with developmental disabilities organize and complete their school work. In fact, I also participate in this program, so I am able to spend time with Molly during the events. Hopefully we will both continue with this program in future semesters so that we can keep in touch after I am no longer her ACES mentor. Molly also is involved with Weird Music, a student organization that emphasizes self expression and acceptance through music. By the stories she tells me and the types of music she shows me, I can tell that Weird Music is a really cool event and that Molly really likes it. I hope she continues with this organization in future semesters. Additionally, Molly also is on the Executive Board for the Best Food Forward student organization which provides bulk-bought produce to students living on or off campus. This is very helpful to students as it provides an affordable option for buying healthy foods. I plan on utilizing this resource myself when I live off-campus next year. Molly even has become involved with modeling and was picked up by an acting agency recently. Molly has definitely enjoyed living in the Smith-Steeb ACES living-learning community, and has made many friends in her residence hall. She enjoys living on south campus mostly because of the many nearby food options like the Union Market and Sloopy’s diner. She hopes to live on south campus again next year. Although Molly thoroughly enjoys the ACES program and its Mentorship Program, she does have some suggestions for its improvement. She wishes to see a greater involvement in the “Education” aspect of ACES since that is something she expected when coming into the program. I think numerous ACES Scholars, many being Education majors, agree with Molly on this suggestion. Molly also suggested more involved Community Meetings, as she likes when we’re not just talked at, but rather are engaging with other ACES scholars. I agree with her and like when we are able to engage with other ACES, as I feel as though we do not get enough chances to mingle with everyone in the scholars program. Overall, Molly is having a great time at OSU and in ACES. I am excited to see where the rest of her college career takes her and hope I can continue to stand as a mentor and friend to her.