2020 Program Dates:
May 17 – July 25
The Summer Research Scholars Program aims to recruit top undergraduate students to engage in Food Science research under the direction of a faculty mentor. Selected students will engage in innovation and discovery, participate in critical thinking and problem solving, develop scientific communication skills, and gain a better understanding of the expectations associated with graduate school.
- Students from food science or related programs (e.g. chemistry, engineering, microbiology, psychology, etc.) from colleges and universities in North America are welcome to apply.
- Students will receive a stipend of $2500 (paid monthly) and be provided with on-campus housing and meals.
The Summer Scholar Program will consist of the following:
- Research Engagement: Following consultation with faculty mentor, student will identify research question and objectives, develop study plan, and execute research strategy.
- Research Logistics: Bi-weekly research modules will introduce students to important research-related concepts.
- Research prerequisites (Lab Safety, Human Subjects, Ethics in Research)
- Getting involved in research
- Journal article reading tips
- Abstract writing
- Poster/Presentation preparation
- Poster/Presentation delivery
- Food Industry Awareness/Career Development: Field trips to local food and beverage companies will contribute to student learning and expose students to the food industry.
- Scientific Communication: End of the summer undergraduate research symposium will showcase student research in the form of poster and oral presentations.
Interested students should apply to the program here by December 31, 2019.
- Note: Interested students must be at a Junior or Senior standing.
- Selected students will be notified by February 15. Students should indicate their intentions of joining the program by February 28.
- Application requires an updated resume, unofficial copy of college transcripts, and a 1-page statement of interest.
- Accepted applicants are required to complete a background check.
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org