2022 Program Dates:
May 15th – July 23rd
The Summer Scholars Program aims to recruit top undergraduate students to engage in Food Science research under the direction of a faculty mentor. Selected students will engage in innovation and discovery, participate in critical thinking and problem solving, develop scientific communication skills, and gain a better understanding of the expectations associated with research.
- Students from food science or related programs (e.g. chemistry, engineering, microbiology, psychology, etc.) from U.S. colleges and universities are welcome to apply.
- Students will receive a total stipend of $2500, and be provided with on-campus housing and meals.
The Summer Scholars Program will consist of the following:
- Research Engagement: Following consultation with faculty mentor, students will identify a research question and objectives, develop a study plan, and execute a research strategy.
- Research Logistics: Bi-weekly research modules will introduce students to important research-related concepts.
- Research prerequisites (Lab Safety, Human Subjects, Ethics in Research)
- Conducting research
- Journal article reading tips
- Abstract writing
- Poster/Presentation preparation and delivery
- Food Industry Awareness/Career Development: Field trips to local food and beverage companies will contribute to student learning and expose students to career opportunities in the food industry.
- Scientific Communication: Students will showcase their work in an undergraduate research symposium in the form of poster and oral presentations at the end of the program.
- Collaboration Network: Attend the IFT Annual meeting and Food Expo in Chicago on July 11th – July 13th
Interested students should apply to the program by January 21, 2022.
- Students will be a rising Junior or Senior standing (by May 2022).
- Students must be eligible to work in the U.S.
- Selected students will be notified no later than February 14. Students should indicate their intentions of joining the program by February 28.
- Materials required for application; 1) Updated resume, 2) Unofficial college transcript, 3) 1-page statement of research interest 4) Preference of 3 faculty labs
- Accepted applicants will be required to complete a criminal background check (per university policy).
Questions? Please contact email@example.com