2020 Program Dates:
May 17 – July 25
The Summer Research Scholars Program aims to recruit top undergraduate students to engage in Food Science research under the direction of a faculty mentor. Selected students will engage in innovation and discovery, participate in critical thinking and problem solving, develop scientific communication skills, and gain a better understanding of the expectations associated with research.
- Students from food science or related programs (e.g. chemistry, engineering, microbiology, psychology, etc.) from colleges and universities in the United States are welcome to apply.
- Students will receive a total stipend of $2500, and be provided with on-campus housing and meals.
The Summer Scholar Program will consist of the following:
- Research Engagement: Following consultation with faculty mentor, students will identify a research question and objectives, develop a study plan, and execute a research strategy.
- Research Logistics: Bi-weekly research modules will introduce students to important research-related concepts.
- Research prerequisites (Lab Safety, Human Subjects, Ethics in Research)
- Conducting research
- Journal article reading tips
- Abstract writing
- Poster/Presentation preparation and delivery
- Food Industry Awareness/Career Development: Field trips to local food and beverage companies will contribute to student learning and expose students to career opportunities in the food industry.
- Scientific Communication: Students will showcase their work in an undergraduate research symposium in the form of poster and oral presentations at the end of the summer.
Interested students should apply to the program here by January 21, 2020.
- Note: Interested students must be at a rising Junior or Senior standing (by May 2020).
- Selected students will be notified by February 14. Students should indicate their intentions of joining the program by February 28.
- Application must include 1) an updated resume, 2) unofficial copy of college transcripts, 3) 1-page statement of interest.
- Accepted applicants will be required to complete a criminal background check (per university policy).
Questions? Please contact email@example.com