Sketchbook: Process

Research

For this project, I conducted research on two main things. Initially, I looked up different ways of binding sketchbooks. I had a few ideas in my head prior to this research but considering I had never created a sketchbook prior to this, it was important that I saw what professional and other handmade ones looked like. So, below are a few of the drawings I made and pictures I looked at for inspiration.

After deciding what binding style I liked, I then moved on to researching what I wanted my cover to be. Without any research, I knew that I wanted something that was colorful and would catch a viewer’s eye when they walked past it. Keeping this in mind, I simply looked up different sketchbooks and whatever I saw one I liked, I saved it. After doing this for thirty minutes, I had a large number of pictures. Here are a few of my favorite ones.

• Exercise #1:
This is an exercise we did in class in preparation for this project. It was completely exploratory and meant to help us experiment with different types of folding methods. The method I chose was one we did in class. It was very basic but at the same time, very helpful in allowing me to see the relationship between paper and how you can fold it into a sketchbook. In addition to folding it, we also got to experiment with what different types of drawings or sketches could go into it. We were prompted with several different questions and we were tasked with choosing one and depicting it however we wanted to within our mini sketchbooks. I chose the question “What are your favorite things?” and to visually answer it, I made a mind map. Above is a picture of the page with my favorites mind map along with a picture of the cover of my sketchbook.

Iterations

After creating the mini sketchbook and looking at the pictures I liked, I decided to move forward with the idea of using a vinyl record as my cover. Different than the inspiration sketchbook, however, I wanted to preserve the curved edge of the record so I experimented with two different styles; one where I simply cut one side straight and one where I cut two sides to make a sort of corner. Here are what they looked like.

After looking at them and asking peers for their input, I realized I liked the one with just one side cut better. This type of cut would allow me to easily attach any sort of binding to the straight edge while still being able to maintain the original and recognizable shape of the record. Once I had this figured out, I moved on to testing different page sizes. Because the record is an abnormal shape for a sketchbook, I knew a traditional 8.5 by 11 page wouldn’t work. Thus, I started cutting out different-sized circles instead to get a feel for what they could look like as sketchbook pages. I liked the consistent aspect of the circle and thought it would create a harmonious aspect throughout the entire sketchbook. Below are a few different circle pages I cut out, noting the differences between material and size.

From here, I decided to go with the biggest size circle possible. A pet peeve of mine within sketchbooks is running out of room when I’m drawing so I thought having them be as big as possible would help to avoid this. Once I had this decided, I made many different iterations of the front circle design and back cover collage. I played around with color, font, and layouts while still aiming for a cohesive and harmonious look. This is what those different iterations looked like.

Production

#1

In order to make the front cover, I first measured the record and made a digital version of it in Illustrator. Using a spiral I had from an old sketchbook, I figured out I would need 38 circles so I added those to the digital version. Using a Cricut, I cut out the record shape on bristol. Cutting the holes directly into the record wasn’t an option purely out of accessibility and safety concerns so this piece of bristol was meant to act as the surface to which the record could be glued. Once the bristol was cut, I then cut the record. Using a hairdryer as a heating tool, I heated the record and cut the straight edge once it was warm. Next, I glued the center circle design onto the record and then the record onto the bristol.

#2

After the front cover was done, I moved to the back cover. I used the same process as the front cover but instead of using a record, I used squares from old record sleeves made into a collage. The inspiration for this greatly came from a record wall I have in my room at home.

#3

Once the back and front cover were completed, I moved on to the pages. I wanted variety in their color and size so I cut normal drawing paper, bristol, colored card stock, and a laminated piece of paper that could act as a whiteboard. I made the colored card stock smaller so those pieces could act as dividers or a place to take notes.

#4

After the pages were all cut, I put everything together and threaded the binding within them. Overall, I loved this project. I ran into some hurdles here and there but in the end, it was so rewarding and allowed me to produce something I’m very excited to use in my day-to-day life!

Link to Portfolio Project

Now that you know how it came to be made, here’s a link to my Sketchbook page. Enjoy!

https://u.osu.edu/fricke-60/portfolio/sketchbook/