Promoting Diversity

I grew up in a very diverse family and school setting.  I am half Caucasian and half Chinese. My father was raised in Michigan, while my mother was raised in Hong Kong, on the opposite side of the globe. Without diversity and cross-racial interactions, my parents would never have met, and I would not be here today. I want to help foster a diverse environment where people from all walks of life may interact with one another free from racial, cultural, or socioeconomic prejudice.

I attended Walnut Hills High School, a magnet school and the number one high school in the state of Ohio.  Walnut Hills is arguably one of the most diverse schools in Ohio, with students sourced from different parts of the city, representing a variety of racial, religious and socioeconomic backgrounds. Now I attend The Ohio State University, which also has a very diverse student body.

I really appreciate the diversity I have found at Walnut Hills High School and The Ohio State University. I think it is very important to have a diverse group of students because it allows different perspectives to be heard. It also allows students to become comfortable interacting with different people. Some of my best friends are extremely different from me when you consider our backgrounds. I believe that this is a good thing because it allows me to appreciate different perspectives.

The diverse environment I grew up in has shaped me to promote diversity by creating a cooperative, open environment, consistent with my academic experience. I wish to continue to lead by example, helping to foster a respectful and inclusive atmosphere in and out of school.