Ohio State’s Humanities and Cognitive Sciences High School Summer Institute will be:
Please check back for our 2021 timeline!
We are currently planning an online experience full of stimulating, diverse and interactive activities.
We will learn about:
- How we generate ideas and give shape to these thoughts
- How we develop memory and use both short-term and long-term memory in all things that we do, from interacting with people to viewing films and reading novels.
- How our brains work to help us navigate different spaces – from home to school, to films and novels, and comic books to novels.
- How our emotions and thoughts allow us to create pictures, music, stories, novels, short stories, comics, poetry, films, architecture, etc.
- How we can read interior states of mind from exterior gestures in everyday activities, and how creators of video games, TV shows, films, comic books, novels, and so on use this in pleasurable ways when they create characters.
- How we experience, say, a film that we know is not real yet we experience it as if it were real.
- How we commit to memory significant moments in a film, novel, comic book, video game.
- How we attach value to things we encounter and how we build emotion into what we value.
- How parts of the brain activate when we read fiction, watch films or TV shows.
- How some stories are built as puzzles to be solved.
- How the great stories and philosophies we encounter in the humanities can enrich our understanding of the sciences.
- How our understanding of how stories work can help enrich our understanding of how science and medicine works: from doctor visits when patients tell the story of their body and symptoms to doctors reading the stories about their patients.