The Guard site, located near the confluence of the Great Miami River and the Ohio River, reflects the remains of an early Fort Ancient village occupied between AD 1000-1300. These villagers were the first maize agriculturalists in the region, and reflect a qualitative shift from preceding traditions of mobile foraging. Field investigations by Ohio State University since 2012 have demonstrated that Guard is a circular village containing multiple wall trench structures, a Mississippian form of house construction. Investigations into the central plaza suggest that this area was a location reserved for special activities.
The Turpin site is located on a terrace of the Little Miami River approximately 5 kilometers from its confluence with the Ohio River. This complex site exhibits both Late Woodland (AD 400-1000) and early Fort Ancient (AD 1000-1300) occupations. Notably, this time period includes both the introduction of the bow and arrow as well as the transition to maize agriculture. Field investigations by the Ohio State University in 2014 and 2015 identified two loci of activity suspected to be residential compounds. Test excavation of two geophysical anomalies produced evidence of two Mississippian-style wall trench structures dating between AD 1050-1275.