Submission Showcase

Hello, everyone! Thanks for participating in the first ever Food Waste Challenge at Ohio State! We’ve picked out a few submissions to showcase on this page that best represent the various challenges that were given over the past two weeks. Scroll down to look at all of them, starting here:

Challenge #8: Food Waste Flyer (submission by Sara Liang)

Challenge #5: Soup Starter Selfies (submission by Zoey McKinley)

“I used all the scraps from my prep to make my broth (pictures attached) and then used this to make quinoa flavored with the broth for my barbecue tofu quinoa with roasted vegetables. This was great because I got the most possible out of the vegetables used in the recipe.”

Challenge #4: Food Containers/Zero Waste (submission by Brynna Bargfield)

“Waste from containers is probably one of the easiest types of waste to prevent and because we eat every day, the impact adds up quickly! I’ll admit that I’m not the best at remembering to bring my to go ware, but when I forget I always feel bad for taking a fork, especially because once plastic is contaminated with food residue it becomes a lot harder to recycle. I love how easy recycling is on campus, but I wish that OSU made it more clear that food wrappers and utensils can’t be recycled (even though a lot of people think they can be). I think one thing OSU could do to help with this would be to allow people to bring their own containers for the salad bars and soups. At the co-op in my hometown, you can get your container weighed when you go in and they tare the scale when you leave to only count the amount of food you got. Maybe if they didn’t want to go through the hassle of that, they could partner with a company to provide specific reusable containers to students for purchase in the dining locations and then have the system remember the weight/amount that container could hold (like they did with drinks for the MyCups). Not only would this reduce the amount of waste that students are almost forced to create when eating on campus, but it would help develop sustainable habits to extend the waste-reduction benefits when off campus and beyond.”

Challenge #1: Food Waste Research (submission by Connor Herman)

Challenge #2: Food Run through Food Rescue US (submission by Zoey McKinley)

Around 100 pounds of food donated from North Market to OSU Star House!