Welcome to Center for Clean Process Technology Development-Food Safety Engineering Laboratory
Directed by Dr. V.M. (Bala) Balasubramaniam
Professor of Food Engineering
We contribute to Clean Process Technology Development using lab & pilot plant scale equipment.
- Congratulations to Hyeon “Howard” Woo Park, who is the recipient of 2020 Peanut Proud Student Scholarship Award. Howard will attend forthcoming 2020 International Association for Food Protection Annual meeting and present his research on the effect of superheated steam on the inactivation kinetics of Enterococcus faecium inoculated in peanut butter.
- Congratulations to Jie “Chris” Xu for receiving 3rd place during CFAES-OARDC poster competition for post-doctoral scholars. Her research focused on investigating thermal, pressure and shear effects on the inactivation of Lactobacillus brevis and Bacillus cereus
- Happy New Year! Dr. Bala was quoted in a January 2020 issue of Refrigerated and Frozen Foods Magazine article ” The Many Layers of HPP” by Marina Mayer (page 24)
- Balasubramaniam, V.M. 2019. Food Engineering for Minimal Processing. Resource Magazine. Nov/Dec 2019.
- Dr. Bala will serve as the Chair of IFT Food Engineering Division during 2019-2020.
Read lab publication
- Zulkurnain, Musfirah; Balasubramaniam, V.M.; Maleky, Farnaz. 2019. Effects of Lipid Solid Mass Fraction and Non-Lipid Solids on Crystallization Behaviors of Model Fats under High Pressure. Molecules 2019, 24(15), 2853
- Webinar presentation “Application of high pressure-based technologies in food industry: Opportunities and future prospects” International Society of Food Engineering Monterrey, NL Mexico June 24 2019
- Dr. Bala is invited to present a webinar sponsored by International Society of Food Engineering on July 24 11 AM EST. Registration form: http://bit.ly/31YuiZl
- Dr. Bala presented an overview on nonthermal food processing technologies via online at a workshop on Emerging Techniques in Food Processing organized by Indian Institute of Food Processing Technologies (IFPT) Thanjavur, India (June 27)
- Laboratory scale ultra shear technology equipment has been installed by USDA NIFA industrial partner Pressure BioScience. We invite interested food processors to serve as Industry Advisory Board Members to contact us.
- Congratulations to Dr. Bala, who was among the 23 people recognized during IFT Nonthermal Processing Division meeting for twenty year research and industrial outreach contributions and the advancement of various nonthermal processing technologies. The event took place during 2019 IFT Annual Meeting held at New Orleans, LA
- Dr. Bala was IFT Food Engineering Division Lecturer during 2019 IFT Annual meeting. His division lecture focused on development and industrial adaptation of high pressure based food technologies over the last 20 years
- Dr. Bala, Shreya Kamat, Jerish Joyner co-hosted 2019 USDA NIFA Food Manufacturing Technologies Annual Grantees’ meeting held during 2019 IFT Annual meeting, New Orleans, LA.
Read lab publication
- Balasubramaniam, V M; Nitin, N; Krishnamurthy, Kathiravan; Sulaiman, Alifdalino. 2019 Putting Pressure on Food. Chemical Engineering Progress; New York 115 (5), 56-60 (May 2019).
- Listen to Dr. Bala’s presentation via IFT Webcast on “Novel nonthermal processing technologies and their applications in fruit and vegetable products” Requires IFT login
Read lab publication
Kshirod K. Dash, V.M. Balasubramaniam, Shreya Kamat. 2019. High pressure assisted osmotic dehydrated ginger slices. Journal of Food Engineering (in press). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2018.11.024
Congratulations Shreya Kamat, 2018 Autumn graduate!!!
The laboratory initiated a ultra shear technology for liquid foods and beverage processing. See the link for details. Ohio State Scientists Studying Healthier Food and Beverage Processing Options
- Congratulations to Rarinthorn “TY” Thammakulkrajang, on her successful PhD Dissertation defense. Ty’s doctoral research focused on investigating how certain product and packaging parameters influenced the spore inactivation during pressure-assisted thermal processing.
- Dr. VM “Bala” Balasubramaniam received 2018 Innovator of the Year Award from College of Food Ag Env Sciences.
- Food process engineering future looking bright!, Journal of Food Process Engineering, Editorial. Feb 2018.
Dr. VM “Bala” Balasubramaniam has been appointed as the Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Food Process Engineering (JFPE), Wiley Publishers. Bala along with a team of five associate editors and an editorial board assume the editorial responsibilities of the journal from January 2018. JFPE, over the 40 years, published various original peer-reviewed research articles that focused on process engineering aspects of food preservation, packaging, handling, storage, and distribution of food.
- Santosh Dhakal, V.M. Balasubramaniam, Huseyin Ayvaz, and Luis Rodriguez-Saona. 2018. Kinetic modeling of ascorbic acid degradation of pineapple juice subjected to combined pressure-thermal treatment. Journal of Food Engineering (in press). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2017.12.016
- Kshirod Kumar Dash and VM Balasubramaniam. 2018. Effect of high pressure on mass transfer kinetics of granny smith apple. Drying Technology (in press).
- Anna Westphal, Kenneth M. Riedl, Jessica L. Cooperstone, Shreya Kamat, · V. M. Balasubramaniam, Steven J. Schwartz, and Volker Böhm. 2017. High Pressure Processing of Broccoli Sprouts – Influence on Bioactivation of Glucosinolates to Isothiocyanates. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry (in press).
- Musfirah Zulkurnain, V.M. Balasubramaniam, and Farnaz Maleky. 2017. Thermal effects on lipids crystallization kinetics under high pressure. Crystal Growth and Design (in press).
- E. Agcam, A. Akyıldız, and V.M. Balasubramaniam. 2017. Optimization of anthocyanins extraction from black carrot pomace with thermosonication. Food Chemistry. 237, 461-470. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2017.05.098
- Santosh Dhakal, V.M Balasubramaniam, Jean-Christophe Cocuron, Ana Paula Alonso, Erdal Agcam, Shreya Kamat. 2017. Pressure-thermal kinetics of furan formation in selected fruit and vegetable juices. Food and Bioprocess Technology https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-017-1950-z.
- Congratulations to doctoral student Fira Zulkurnain who have successfully completed her doctoral examination during Summer 2017. Fira investigated the crystallization of lipids under high pressure for food texture development. She was co-advised by our food engineering /high pressure processing laboratory along with lipid analysis laboratory (Dr. Farnaz Maleky).
- Congratulations to Dr. V.M. “Bala” Balasubramaniam who received IFT Calvert L. Willey Distinguished Service Award during 2017 IFT Annual Meeting for his IFT Service, leadership and contribution to the field of food science and Technology.
- IFT Presentations
- Balasubramaniam, V.M. 2017. Recent developments in high pressure based technologies for clean process technology development. Symposium on Emerging Application of High Pressure processing. 2017 IFT Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV. June 25-28
- Kshirod Dash, Shreya Kamat, and V M. Balasubramaniam. 2017. Mass Transfer Kinetics and Effective Diffusivity of High Pressure Assisted Osmotic Dehydration of Ginger. Abstract 044, 2017 IFT Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV. June 25-28
- Shreya Kamat, KshirodDash, and VM Balasubramaniam. 2017. Quality Preservation of Pickled Vegetable Products Through Combined Pressure-Thermal Treatment. Abstract 038, 2017 IFT Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV. June 25-28
- Balasubramaniam, V.M. 2017. Engineering Advances in Combined Nonthermal and Thermal Technologies for Inactivation of microorganisms. 2017 IFT-EFFoST International Nonthermal Processing Workshop, May 24-25 Chicago Marriott Southwest at Burr Ridge, IL, USA
- Balasubramaniam, V.M. 2017. High Pressure Processing. Nonthermal Processing Short Course. 2017 IFT-EFFoST International Nonthermal Processing Workshop, May 24-25 Chicago Marriott Southwest at Burr Ridge, IL, USA
- Congratulations to doctoral student Fira Zulkurnain who won first place during 31st Annual Hayes Graduate Research Forum (poster competition) in Engineering, Math and Physical Sciences category. Also congratulate research associate Shreya Kamat who received honorable mention in the same competition.
- Congratulations Dr. Santosh Dhakal, Autumn 2016 graduate from the laboratory. Santosh’s doctoral research focused on evaluating synergistic, additive and antagonistic effects during Combined pressure-thermal treatment on selected liquid food constituents using reaction kinetic approach
- Congratulations Dr. Bing Yan, Autumn 2016 graduate from the laboratory. Bing investigated high pressure homogenization of selected liquid beverages.
- Dr. Bala received 2016 Distinguished Alumni award from Asian Institute of Technology Alumni Association (AITAA) in the category of Academic and Research Excellence
- Dr. Bala co-organized 2016 Conference of Food Engineering, Columbus Ohio. The conference attracted about 175 international food engineering participants.
IFT Annual meeting (July 16-19) Chicago, IL. Presentations from the lab group
- Sunday July 17 2-3 pm- Symposium on Advances, Challenges, and Opportunities in Nonthermal and Other Novel Food porcessing Technologies – Engineering and Packaging Aspects (S502)
- Sunday July 17 3-5 pm poster abstract 069 Formation of furan in fruit and vegetable juices subjected to combined pressure-thermal treatment (poster presentation by Sanoths Dhakal et al.)
- Tuesday July 19th 1.15-2.45 pm Symposium on challenges and processing advances towards making safe, high quality stabilized fruits and vegetables.
Dr. Bala has been elected as 2016 Fellow of the International Academy of Food Science and Technology (IAFoST), The International Union of Food Science and Technology (IUFoST)
Congratulations Santosh Dhakal, and Bing Yan for receiving OVIFT scholarship
Dr. Bala co-presented an IFT webcast Extended Shelf-Life Foods – Ensuring Food Safety Through High-Pressure Based Technological Solutions Feb 25, 2015. (IFT login required to view the video)
- Martínez-Monteagudo, S.I., Bing Yan and V.M. Balasubramaniam. 2015. Process Engineering Characterization of High Pressure Homogenization–From Laboratory to Industrial scale. 2015 International Nonthermal Processing Workshop, Athens, Greece. Nov 12 and 13.
- M. Zulkurnain, F. Maleky and VM. Balasubramaniam. 2015. Effects of High Pressure Crystallization on Physical Properties and Microstructure of Fat Blends. 2015 International Nonthermal Processing Workshop, Athens, Greece. Nov 12 and 13.
- Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam was an invited speaker to talk about high pressure processing during 2015 Process Expo The Global Food Equipment and Technology Show. September 19-22, Chicago, IL
- Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam received 2014-15 Nonthermal Processing Divsion Outstanding Service Award during 2015 IFT Annual Meeting held in Chicago, IL July 11-14, 2015.
- Martinez-Monteagudo SI, Yan B, and Balasubramaniam VM. Engineering Aspects of High Pressure Homogenization of Liquid Foods. 2015 IFT Annual Meeting and Food Expo. Chicago, IL. July 11-14. Poster 099-013
- Yan B, Martinez-Monteagudo SI, Cooperstone JL, Riedl KM, Schwartz SJ and Balasubramaniam VM.2015. Effect of High Pressure Homogenization on Physicochemical and Nutritional Properties of Tomato Juice. 2015 IFT Annual Meeting and Food Expo. Chicago, IL. July 11-14. Poster 032-035. Finalist, Nonthermal Processing Division Competition.
- Zulkurnain M, Heldman DR, Balasubramaniam VM. 2015. Simulation and optimization of Pressure-Assist-Thermal-Process for maximum quality retention in CLA-rich milk. 2015 IFT Annual Meeting and Food Expo. Chicago, IL. July 11-14. Poster 099-034
- Dhakal S, Balasubramaniam VM, Ayyaz H and Rodriguez-Saona. 2015. Study of high pressure and temperature effects on ascorbic acid present in pineapple Juice. 2015 IFT Annual Meeting and Food Expo. Chicago, IL. July 11-14. Poster 032-078
- Dr. Bala will be a keynote presenter at 12th International Congress on Engineering and Food (ICEF12), Québec City Convention Centre, Québec City | June 14-18, 2015 (http://www.icef12.com/index.html)
- Published a paper in Food Control. The research highlighted how natural and synthetic antimicrobial compounds can be used to reduce severity of pressure assisted thermal processing and thermal processing.
- Daryaei, Hossein, V.M. Balasubramaniam, Ahmed E. Yousef, J. David Legan, and Abdullatif Tay. 2016. Lethality enhancement of pressure-assisted thermal processing against Bacillus amyloliquefaciens spores in low-acid media using antimicrobial compounds. Food Control. 59 234-242.
- Zulkurnain M, Maleky F, Balasubramaniam VM. 2015. Effects of High Pressure Treatment on Structure and Physical Properties of Fat Blends of Fully Hydrogenated Soybean Oil. AOCS 106th Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, May 3-6th.
- Bing Yan won 2015 OVIFT Graduate Student Scholarship Award, 2015 OVIFT Meeting and Supplier’s Expo, West Chester, OH. April 30, 2015.
- Bing Yan won Edward J. Ray Travel Award for Scholarship and Service, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio April 22, 2015.
- Bing Yan won 2015 OVIFT travel grant, 2015 OVIFT Meeting, Columbus, Ohio. April 1, 2015.
- Sanosh Dhakal won 2015 OVIFT travel grant,OVIFT Meeting, Columbus, Ohio. April 1, 2015.