Global Awareness: Students cultivate and develop their appreciation for diversity and each individual’s unique differences. For example, consider course work, study abroad, involvement in cultural organizations or activities, etc .
Original Inquiry: Honors & Scholars students understand the research process by engaging in experiences ranging from in-class scholarly endeavors to creative inquiry projects to independent experiences with top researchers across campus and in the global community. For example, consider research, creative productions or performances, advanced course work, etc.
Academic Enrichment: Honors & Scholars students pursue academic excellence through rigorous curricular experiences beyond the university norm both in and out of the classroom.
Leadership Development: Honors & Scholars students develop leadership skills that can be demonstrated in the classroom, in the community, in their co-curricular activities, and in their future roles in society.
Service Engagement: Honors & Scholars students commit to service to the community.]

Global Awareness- I think that my experiences with the International Affairs Scholars Program have given me tremendous knowledge about the world of which I was unaware previously. I have learned a lot not only about current affairs, but also about the UN Development Goals and how the world is tackling pressing issues such as hunger and poverty. My experience studying abroad in Australia has also influenced my global awareness, as it directly related to my major of environmental sustainability. I became more aware of how environmental sustainability is perceived and implemented in various parts of Australia, and I also gained a deeper understanding of what sustainability means in different contexts.

Original Inquiry- I have participated in extensive research with my business sustainability classes to evaluate the implementation of sustainability principles and social responsibility for different companies. I have really enjoyed the research process and analysis of sustainability within different companies because it has given me a career focus and helped me identify what I would like to do with my future. I think that businesses have a tremendous responsibility for improving their environmental footprint and implementing sustainability in environmental, social, and economic aspects, and my research with my classes has allowed me to be a part of this progress towards a more sustainable future.

Academic enrichment- My study abroad experience and my involvement with the ambassador team has extended by academic enrichment. Through my study abroad program, I was able to learn about real world issues and provide input into how these problems can be solved or improved upon. I was able to apply my knowledge and skills in real-life situations, which is important for my academic and career goals. My role as an ambassador has allowed me to advocate the College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences, expand upon my knowledge of other majors, clubs, activities, and interests, and allowed me to help prospective students find their fit.

Leadership development- My roles as a college ambassador, secretary of the club tennis team, and peer mentor for IA have allowed me to express my passion for leadership and take an important role in organizations that really interest me. I have gained confidence in myself and have been able to help others through these roles. I have learned a lot about myself and about my interests even more through my leadership roles, and I hope to continue to improve as a leader and make a positive impact.

Service Engagement- Through the club tennis team, we participate in fundraisers and service events as a team, so we are able to create a bonding experience while helping others in need. Service events are a major part of our club activities, and they enrich our club’s purpose.