How Organic Chemistry I Influenced My Outlook on my Time in College

One of my favorite courses that I have learned about not only important synthesis of organic molecules, but also myself was my first organic chemistry course. In the beginning of the class, I lacked motivation to study and work hard in this class, as the COVID restrictions greatly distracted me. In the Fall 2020 Semester, I was still trying to get used to the atmosphere of virtual learning, and because I attended classes in my dorm, focusing was very difficult for me. However, while talking with my professor, Dr. Sevov, he mentioned how when times are most difficult, it is important to refocus on what your drive is and how you plan to achieve them. If your drive is exceptional, but the way you fulfill it is not aligned with you or your values, you may need to re-evaluate if your drive is truly yours. Taking this advice, I pondered whether if the classes were allowing to achieve my drive: to become a versatile physician capable of supporting various people through the most strenuous moments of life. Therefore, I decided to spend most of my time at the library to designate time were I would force myself to focus. With the success in this class, I was able to better understand my drive and how I hope that through perseverance and adaptability I can accomplish it.