G.O.A.L.S – 2nd Year

This is an update as to my GOALS for my honors contract

Global Awareness: My original goal was to travel abroad via one of Ohio State’s programs, and I am doing that the summer of 2018 through Volunteers Around the World – Dental Branch. I will be traveling to the Dominican Republic and shadowing dentists and helping educate people on the importance of dental care.

Original Inquiry: I have not yet been involved in research, but I have shadowed dentists and specializations in order to gain a deeper and more hands-on knowledge on the profession that I want to pursue.

Academic Enrichment: I have not partaken in research, but I have tutored through a nonprofit organization called The Bridge. I tutored elementary school students who are from refugee families and helped them with math and writing. I was a health sciences major, but I switched back into biology and added a business minor. I chose biology again because I realized it gave me the opportunity to take a lot of science-related classes that would help benefit me later on in dental school. I added a business minor because I thought it would be beneficial to have some background knowledge in the case that I want to manage and run my own practice in the future. My GEs have pertained a lot in the social aspect, and has taught me to think more critically of different people and thought processes (sociology, popular culture, anthropology).

Leadership Development: Within the past two years, I have become heavily involved in Big Buckeye Lil’ Buckeye (BBLB) and Asian American Intervarsity. I have also continued my membership at the Pre-Dental Club and Volunteers Around the World. For BBLB, we volunteer weekly to mentor inner-city youth. I have also become the treasurer for this club. For Asian American Intervarsity, I have been an apprentice and help lead small groups, especially with the freshmen.

Service Engagement: Through BBLB, I have volunteered and given back to the Columbus community. I have also given back to the St. Louis community, my hometown, by volunteering and discipling youth at my home church.