F. Discussion

As our team got together to brainstorm several ways to start, troubleshoot, and finish up the games we decided upon, the process came with its accomplishments and hardships. These highs and lows mainly occurred with the flowchart, in coding, and within the advertisement videos. Each game has its own complexities due to the rules and processes for each being so varied and this section is here to describe what few of the main highs and lows were within our creation process.

Tenzi and the simple dice game both intrigued us as a group due to the mysteriousness of playing the games. We know how much fun we all had when questionable ideas and mystery games were brought into classroom settings or just with friends and so we decided for our games to be a bit on the curious side. Not only did we code the two with motivation from our childhood, but we had also had a purpose and a goal: to carry on and re-vamp the thrill of what we know was great fun as children!

Starting up, we knew exactly how the games were played and what the rules were for each. Being able to have the background knowledge led for the programing to be a bit more understandable with what work the computer had to do. For tenzi, writing out the flowchart process came pretty easy and that allowed us more time to think about the steps for the simple dice game. Another aspect that came pretty easy for tenzi was the provided information and (the very few) phrases. Adding out own spin after creating a working model of the code was exciting and made the game truly from us. With the simple dice game, although the act of playing is simple, the only quick sections to complete were the phrases and a few lines of the transitional code.

As we started coding both of the games, we began with a created flow chart and used our learned knowledge from class to put together the games. With that there were a few times where a day off was needed to look at the code again and find what was wrong, but over all, these two dice games were pretty simple to make over the amount of time we were allotted.

Acknowledging that the simple dice game was the very first game we started on, getting in the mindset to create a proper flowchart that would explain not just the rules of how to play, but the logistical coding steps took some time to get a grasp of. After the flowchart, things seemed become more understandable with a few bumps of properly using while statements and adding our own creative flair within the phrasing in response to the users input. For the Tenzi game, a lot of the struggles came with assuring that all 10 dice where properly being accounted for and taking the dice out of the vector once the user’s selected number was rolled. The amount of die being rolled was a constant problem throughout debugging, but was able to be solved by asking a few of the TAs for tips and tricks as to how to get all die to work appropriately.

As with all coding ideas, many come with bumps in the road and being able to work through them with a good group of people who ask questions and problem solve as much as possible, our abilities with these games could have been endless.