Documentary Screening of Vinyl Generation and Q&A with producer Jeffrey Brown

Hagerty Hall — Room 180

Tuesday February 18, 2020 — 7:30 – 9:00 pm

I attended the documentary screening of the Vinyl Generation with my roommate Jenna. The producer of the film, Jeffrey Brown, was in attendance to talk about the film and answer some questions after the screening. The event told the story of the revolution in Prague mainly, and the role that music – especially alternative music – played in it. We watched as people told stories of illegally selling and trading records and starting bands and going to concerts, all with the risk of undercover state agents catching them at any point. Punishments ranged from a small warning to getting the then teenagers expelled from school. The event relates to international affairs because it provided an insight into the revolution in the 80s in a part of the world we hear about a lot in terms of their government, but not so much from the civilians themselves. Witnessing these artists discuss how music brought them all together in a time of great unrest was very inspiring. I loved learning about the individual people and their stories during the time and how they rebelled through music, something us youth today just see as a normal everyday part of our lives. It made me realize what a big part of my life music is, how it has impacted me personally. It also reminded me how universal music is, and how powerful it can really be. I was curious as to why Jeffrey Brown chose this subject to focus on in this movie and what his favorite part of filming was.