The Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program – Information Session

Zoom Link

Monday October 5, 2020 – 6:00 pm

I attended the information session on the Critical Language Scholarship Program on zoom. I got to see my RA from last year as well as a fellow IA scholar, Abbie Levine. This event relates to IA because this scholarship allows students to participate in a two month, intensive language course, usually in a native speaking country. There is a main focus on Arabic, but they usually offer up to 15 languages. Participants live in a country where their language is natively spoken, sometimes with a host family, and take on their culture for two months. I was curious as to what the requirements were to qualify for applying for the scholarship and advice on what to include in my application. The event outlined anything I would need to know. I got to hear first-hand accounts of the program, what to include on my application, what they were looking for in terms of recipients, and just hope the whole process functions. It definitely changed my attitude on the program and peaked my interest a bit more. This event mainly intersects with my personal goals, being Lebanese I love connecting with that culture and I would love to become more proficient in my father’s native language. That was I could speak to my grandmother without using a lot of hand signals!